savage 116 30-06 load question

bronco2

well fellas i loaded 6 rounds of IMR-4350 at 55.5 grains and 150 grain ballistic silver tips and cci primers and got this group at 100yds. what do you fellas think i should do. go or down in powder ?

Go shoot some deer.

As that is a low to medium load in most of my manuals I'd go up a half grain at a time, and see if things improve.

Don't you have load data books to work off of?

I wouldn't be happy with that. Is the trouble there the load, the rifle or scope or the shooter? If you are a capable marksman and the rifle and scope are solid, then I would definitely be working on the load.

H-380 is not an optimal powder for the 190 gr in the 30-06. I checked five manuals and only two even list it and it is 100-200 fps slower than the other powders. In a 30-06 that powder is pretty fast for a heavy bullet. 4350 is a great powder for the 06, and I'd try working up a load with it instead of jumping all over the place trying ONE load here and there.

With IMR 4350 and a 150 grain bullet, in my testing, it didn't get good until 59.0 which is the listed max in the Nosler manual. Hodgdon list 58.0 as max with the IMR-4350. So work up. Another good powder with the 150's is IMR-4895. I would also try H4350, but the charges will be slightly different from the IMR version, as they share the same number, but are slightly different burn rate.

As far as 190 grain bullets your IMR-4350 will work there as well. Some others I would try are W760, and RL19.

Last edited:
Back