Sagerat Reports

tt35

Thought I'd start a thread as a place for updates on the sagerat hunting. Not sure how faithful I'll be once the "season" really gets rolling but hopefully some others will jump in with their reports as well.

We had our first full-on sagerat hunt yesterday. I had a father-son team from Washington. Both primarily shot .223's (One AR and one bolt) as well as some HMR and a little .22LR. The weather was nice from about 10:00 am on. Temps peaked at around 60 degrees and light wind. The guys went through about 400 rounds each. 600 rounds of that was .223. Pretty good shooting for mid-March!

Shooting buddy Kevin and I went out today. Got a bit of a late start as we needed to gas up and go by Subway for a cupple sammiches before we headed out. Did a bit of scouting after we got there and after us having lunch we commenced a bit of whistlepig popping. Even though I got off to a slow start because I had to re-sight in my .204 after my dog knocked it over we just sat back and had some fun. Kevin with his .223 AR-15 and me with the .204 and the sun on our backs. After I ran through my 100 rounds of 32 grain Vmax bullets and Keven though a like number through his gun we grabbed our .22 Ruger pistols and went out to inspect the carnage. The burned up yet another hour as we had to keep stopping to shoot the errant squirrel that kept showing themselves to us. Great fun nailing them with a .22 handgun. I even shot at a couple with my Model 29 .44 Magnum but decided that was a bit silly and put it back in the truck.

Other than a bit of sunburn and a couple of dirty Nissan pickups the day was another good one. Good friends, good shooting, good (OK, fair) food and good coffee = really good times. I'm ready to go again. Wanna come along?

NE California had decent numbers last week. There were pockets of squirrels where the little ones were out, but most areas were just adults. I was doing a lot of videoing, but was able to take a decent number, along with some rock chuck, jack rabbit and a couple of muskrat (one on video).

My new 17WSM rifle did most of the work and it was a blast to shoot:

post-2-0-07220400-1427326148.jpg

Eric
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerMy new 17WSM rifle did most of the work and it was a blast to shoot:

[

I missed the specs on the WSM. Looks awewsome. What is it?

Sagerats are out pretty heavy when the weather cooperates. They have actually been somewhat active even when it is sprinkling rain. Some babies are up already too. I've never seen any March babies before. Gonna be a good year!

Originally Posted By: tt35I missed the specs on the WSM. Looks awewsome. What is it?

This is a Franklin Armory upper, with an Aero Precision lower. I'm shooting the 20 grain bullet offering of the .17WSM rimfire.

A small part of a day's work:
post-2-0-40055700-1427326147.jpg

We are waiting to hear from a few land-owners on when they are cutting up north. The alfalfa was already grown out quite a bit, so I think they may be doing an early cut. When it happens, we should be heading back up north.

Eric
cool.gif

I had a client here the last two days with the Franklin Armory .17WSM. I got to shoot it a few times. Pretty nice set-up!

Been out popping them down here for over 2 months, they are all over the ranches Im shooting on.
I already started in Jan when it was warm they were out.

Originally Posted By: tt35I had a client here the last two days with the Franklin Armory .17WSM. I got to shoot it a few times. Pretty nice set-up!

Nice! I love the 17WSM in a semi-auto and since I really like AR15s, it works out perfectly.

Eric
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: 5spdBeen out popping them down here for over 2 months, they are all over the ranches Im shooting on.

You had babies out in January?

Originally Posted By: tt35Originally Posted By: 5spdBeen out popping them down here for over 2 months, they are all over the ranches Im shooting on.

You had babies out in January?

He's talking about pdogs I'm sure.

Probably so but I doubt they had babies then. I may be wrong...

The weather was amazing here today and so was the shooting! Babies are up everywhere, Pretty much non-stop action.

Last edited:
Was a great day here in SW Idaho too. Took a few dozen with my .223 AI shooting fireforming loads (very light) as well as my .221 Furball, my .22/45 Ruger pistol and my Izhmash .22 rifle. Got an added bonus when a badger showed a bit to much of himself while I was shouldering the Fireball. A 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip put him to sleep for good.

Little wind, lots of sun, Pepsi, root beer, peanut butter and bacon sandwiches and plenty of targets. Hard not to like a day like that.

Back