Hornady 55 gr SP for Coyotes

Sod Farmer

These bullets are a great buy when you buy quantity. The 6000 bullet box costs about $.077 per bullet. My question is about the terminal ballistics of this bullet on coyotes when launched from a 5.56 AR with a 16" barrel (1 in 7" twist). I know that this bullet is not as explosive as some, but I hope with a reasonable hit, that it will consistently stop a coyote without a lot of tracking. Does anyone have any real world experience with this bullet? Also, I'm not to concerned with pelt damage. My primary objective is to kill the coyote.

I have shot a lot of the 55sp with the cannalure, they are very accurate out of my custom rifles(223), benchmark, 748, 335, and the mack daddy is N135.

They are a tough bullet, not explosive. Some years ago, they were my antelope bullet and I dropped two does in their tracks with them.

Originally Posted By: DoogerWhat #? There's a couple.

The Hornady product number is: 2266
These are the ones with the cannelure.

Last edited:
I have used them for a few years and they are good all around bullet. They will pass thru most often but anchor them quick.

Sometimes I think it depends on the will of the coyote. Last fall I hit one standing at -100yds about 2" behind the shoulder and it dropped dead. A week or so later same thing but this coyote was standing about 60yds,it dropped and I got up and started walking and it got up running so I popped off a guick shot and the bullet put about a 2" hole through the neck,it was down that time for good. Sometimes they're just tough to want to stay down. I'll continue to use them as I've not lost any yet that were hit where I was aiming.

IF you can find any, the 55g Winchester is quite a bit thinner jacketed. I shot many thousands of them years ago.

55g Hornady SP is one of the toughest cup and core bullets in 22 caliber, so don't shoot a wimp load.

Back