Cases stuck in chamber

devildogg

Can anyone tell me why I keep getting cases stuck in my chamber after they have been fired. The extractor rips the chunck of rim off and the case is left stuck in my chamber. It only does it when I shoot reloads through it. I full length size and have my dies set up so there is a slight caming action when the ram is at the top. Wth am I doing wrong?

What is your load and powder? You either have a rough chamber (I doubt it) or your powder/load combination is over gassing it.
kwg

Curious if you've shot factory since it started acting up. Did it function fine with those loads before and just start malfunctioning? If you chamber empty brass that has been resized does it extract easily? How does the extractor look, chipped in any way? Extractor spring could also be weak, I've had that happen.

Lots of possibilities but there's a few things to think about and try.

Yep I've shot factory loads and they operate flawless. When they hang up is on once fired brass never new stuff just the stuff I have reloaded for the second time.

if they're running hot enough to rip the rim off them, i'd be checking for something causing them to spike that the factory rounds arent doing?

can you easily extract an unfired reload?

have you verified that they're dimensionally up to spec?
http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Rifle/204%20Ruger.pdf

are your dies set to crimp?

what brand of dies?

what OAL are you loading to?

what is your trim length on the brass?

have you successfully fired any other reloads in the gun?

Last edited:
No I can't easily extract an unfired case. I can extract them easily if they are new unfired brass that is on its first loading. I load them all to mag length. I do not crimp them. I have rcbs full length dies. Not sure what my oal is. I will check my oal and do some dimensional checks tonight. Am I setting up my dies wrong? I run my sizer die down until it comes in contact with my shell holder and then bring it down just enough for the ram to slightly can over and then adjust the decapper so it pops the primer out and lock it all down.

Originally Posted By: devildoggNo I can't easily extract an unfired case. I can extract them easily if they are new unfired brass that is on its first loading. I load them all to mag length. I do not crimp them. I have rcbs full length dies. Not sure what my oal is. I will check my oal and do some dimensional checks tonight. Am I setting up my dies wrong? I run my sizer die down until it comes in contact with my shell holder and then bring it down just enough for the ram to slightly can over and then adjust the decapper so it pops the primer out and lock it all down.

I you can't extrat a sized ired case you need to bump the shoulders back. They should extract like greased owl dookie. You need to have about 0.003-0.004 space up there. I use the Hornady tool to set my dies but you you have a chamber gauge in hand to let you know how much is enough. If your die won't go down far enough you can grind the top of the shell holder to get more run at it. This is not uncommon BTW.

The gun is probably over gassed and not letting the pressure drop in the case before extraction is attempted. The powders you are using should be fine but just too much coming back. You will need an adjustable gas block to turn the volume down. I fought this on my 20 Tactical and learned a whole bunch about different powders and their pressures in the 20's.

Greg

Sounds like you have some kind of issue going on with that resize die. If factory ammo works and don't stick but what you size with that particular die does that seems to point to the die. You already have the die camming over so it wont "bump down" much more at this point. You can continue to screw the die in and get to the point where it almost wont cam over without damaging the press but the case wont come out no different.
I would suggest you try two things at this point...one, try cases that a buddy has resized with his die to eliminate the die you have, and two, load a few minimum loads and try them to make sure it's not some kind of hot load thing going on. The loads you listed seem a little warm. You do not mention any signs of excess pressure.
The only time I have ever had a case stick in the chamber of an AR was when the rifle had a bad, rough or chattered chamber. In your case factory ammo works fine, so that kills the rough chamber idea.

I have a great shooting DPMS A3 flat top that will shoot anything EXCEPT PMP ammo (made in South Africa) The brass is so soft that it fire-forms to the inside of the chamber and the extractor rips off a chunk of the rim off the case. I poshished the chamber alittle and it still does it.

I think I've got my problem solved I ordered a set of rcbs ar small base dies and my rifle is spitting them out like no ones business. Thanks for the help men!!!!

I will also add that even when they would extract the rim of the brass was slightly deformed from the extractor. That hasn't happened since and it would do it on every round but not anymore. It feels great to solve a problem but it's frustrating getting:)

It's likely a sizing issue. There is a good section in the Sierra manual about loading for semi-autos.

It can really mess up your day when a reloaded round gets stuck in an AR chamber, yes I have been there.

Back