Optimum barrel length for 6.5 Grendel/.264 LBC?

moonshine44

I know that this another of those "your mileage may vary" questions, but what do you guys feel is the optimum barrel length for this caliber? I guess I'm talking about a combination of relative ease of carry/good long-range accuracy potential. 18"? 20"? Other?

No less than 20" IMHO. I would prefer a 22" for MAX use without going the longest. A standard weight will be fine for most purposes. Leave the truck axles on the shelf for me and My F-class guns. Lots of guys like 18" but I just can't see it for me.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Looking at the numbers I agree. You want all the juice you can get especially if you plan to wring it out.

Just like drag racing. There is no substitute for horsepower and traction. A quality longer barrel will give that nth degree of performance that we all crave for. Good is easy. Excellent is expensive.

Greg

Guess I'm different. Wanted a caliber for deer and an occasional hog. Don't want to wring it out. Never was a velocity worshiper. Accuracy is king. Went with an 18" for lighter carry/easier maneuverability.

Im not a velocity worshiper either. But a 18" pipe vs. 24 or 26" at distance makes a difference at distance. You matched your rig to your gig as each person should.
thumbup1.gif

I have had several and after 2 or more of each length 16-18"-20-24, I decided I wanted a 18" for carrying and a 24" bull for the bench. Best of both worlds

Back