using crow call while coyote hunting

Struttin1

I heard a guy a few years back say that when you have made several stands without anything going on to use a crow call to make it sound like something exciting going on. I've tried it a few times and it does it work. I like when crows and hawks get to going nuts while i'm calling, it seems like it does make it more exciting. Anybody else do this?

i have mixed in crow, raven, magpie while using furry distressed critter sounds. had coyotes come while doing it. might of came without doing it. sure dont hurt anything.

STS ^^ is dead on why not through it in there once in a while

A few years back while crow calling with a couple of friends I got the feeling we were being watched and turned around and there stood a coyote. It is one of the things that started me down the path of trying to call coyotes.

I do it but have only called in crows. Apparently no coyotes close by as they should come in for a look and possibly free meal.

I have had 2 coyotes come charging in when I played "crow fight" as my first sound. It sounds like a flock of them going crazy. It really gets the ravens coming in which can only help with realism at a set. We have a tremendous amount of road kill deer here and the ravens flock on to them so the coyotes are very familiar with the sound.

I hunt mostly with my father as my partner. We have radios and cell phones but we have been thinking of carrying a couple of crow calls to "talk" back and forth while on stand. Example, two caws, set up and ready, three cays starting the calling, four caws set over. Seems better than talking on a radio or phone.

CROW SOUNDS Great tactic---I've started many sets with the fighting crow sound first and when the crows are flying around and screaming start your distress sound either with hand call or your e-call--I like using both E & hand at the same time--If Mr coyote is going to come--This works well--Has been successful many times- --ST1 Give it a try -GWH great idea using crow calls to communicate--Good luck calling---svb

Last edited:
I do this quiet often. Sometimes it works well. Sometimes it doesn't seem to help at all. It's one of those things you have to play "by ear".
Best of luck my friend.

crows eat carrion don't they? I think they may compete with Mr. Coyote for food. Of course if the crows find the carrion first Mr. Coyote might come to see what's going on and steal the food.

I love the idea of using a crow call to communicate with your hunting partner. But I would want to use the various type of calls that crows actually make in my coded messages to my hunting partner.

Three Caws in a row is the crow warning signal for danger so I might want to leave that one alone if you are hunting coyotes. Some animals learn the danger calls of other species and know that something is up when the crows start using their warning calls.

I've tried crow calls during coyote stands and I never saw a coyote when I did it. This doesn't mean it won't work, just didn't work when I tried it.

Back