400lbs (Corrected to 500lbs!) MONSTER BOAR JUST TAKEN - Now with AAR

Victor_TNVC

One of our TNVC family members just took this biggin a few nights back in Georgia using our D-790. http://tnvc.com/shop/d790-magnus-6x-gen3-night-vision-scope/

ID was VERY good knowing this was not some farmers cow!
icon_smile_big.gif

Huge%20Hog%20taken%20at%20night_zpskc6tio50.jpg

Vic

That is a MONSTER BOAR HOG for sure, bet he really was doing allot of considerable damage too.

That top of the line D-790 NV scope sure is a super nice piece of kit too!

I want to see the video!

Was he DRT or did he put up a fight ?

A hog like that deserves more of a story to go along with the photo .

Thx for sharing

YIPES!!! I think I'd want to be hunting that monster from a tree or a pickup and have plenty of backup firepower ready...

$bob$

Originally Posted By: BennyboneI want to see the video!

Thx for sharing

Short synopsis of the hunt will come shortly. I was also corrected on the weight which I will also talk about during the AAR.
icon_smile_shock.gif

As for video, the D-790 is a dedicated NV scope, compared to a thermal device (as you know) which allows for a digital output for recording. In these cases a spotter is usually used for video, which the other gent on this hunt was not setup for that.

The true benefit of a NV device is the TRUE ID of the animal and in some cases for LE folks, 2 legged animals.
icon_smile_cool.gif
The D-790 is probably the very best optical image I've ever looked through in regards to a NV device. Hands down it surpasses the original Raptor NV scopes both 4x and 6x in contrast and clarity, and that is a huge compliment.

Vic

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: BennyboneI want to see the video!

Thx for sharing

Short synopsis of the hunt will come shortly. I was also corrected on the weight which I will also talk about during the AAR.
icon_smile_shock.gif

As for video, the D-790 is a dedicated NV scope, compared to a thermal device (as you know) which allows for a digital output for recording. In these cases a spotter is usually used for video, which the other gent on this hunt was not setup for that.

The true benefit of a NV device is the TRUE ID of the animal and in some cases for LE folks, 2 legged animals.
icon_smile_cool.gif
The D-790 is probably the very best optical image I've ever looked through in regards to a NV device. Hands down it surpasses the original Raptor NV scopes both 4x and 6x in contrast and clarity, and that is a huge compliment.

Vic

That scope certainly has excellent qualities and with your added input it should be strongly considered for those with the funds to afford it.

Look forward to the AAR and my goodness if he is running into hogs that size routinely I will board a flight and bring my thermal and record from the spotter's position!

BB

Here is the synopsis of the shoot from our TNVC family shooter.

A photo of this Georgia pig was captured on one of our game cameras more than four years ago. From there, he became a "ghost", never to be seen again...until a fewmonths ago.

He started showing up at one of our feeders, with a group of about eight other pigs, but always at night. We spent the next several months trying to pattern his feed times but, they always varied by several hours. Although we sat waiting on several occasions, when ever could get him in front of our ground blind. About two weeks ago, he regularly started visiting the feeder between 2:30 and 3:00 am. The night he was taken was a no-moon evening and heavily overcast. He showed up slightly before 3:00 am and I used an M-24 Thermal to spot him from our ground blind approximately 100 yards away. When he presented the shot, I exited the blind and moved to within about 50 yards of him and illuminated him with a Torch Pro. The rifle was a Remington 700 LTR in .308, topped off with a D-790. A single, hand loaded,168gr BTHP hit him just behind the left shoulder, with the pig quartering away sharply. The bullet lodged in his head, after destroying the left lung and neck. It put him down immediately. After chambering another round, and watching the pig for about ten minutes, the rifle was shouldered and pistol drawn. After approaching with white light, I was shocked to seethe chest still heaving. This beast was still alive!!! A single 230gr hollowpoint to the neck, did nothing to stop the breathing. Two more rounds from the HK 45 Compact, just behind the ear, did the trick. What a resilient animal.

After cleaning him, and seeing the trauma in the neck,it was not surprising that the first .45 round to the neck had no effect. The .308 had already torn up most of the internal portion of the neck. Only the two shots to the brain stem were effective. One would have probably been sufficient but, there was no reason to see him suffer or, to take a chance with an animal this big and dangerous.

As it was impossible to lift this animal, I returned to camp to get the four-wheeler and attached a buddy's trailer to the back. With the ramp down, we were able to wrestle him into (and almost completely fill) the trailer. Our current camp scales were only 400 pound capable and, he bottomed them. By doing comparison with a picture of a 450 pound boar we killed last year, we were able to determine that this one was much, much larger. He was at least 500 pounds!
shocked.gif
He was a Bar (a boar that had been trapped and cut, many years ago) which probably accounted for his tremendous size. It will probably stand as a record at our camp for many years to come. [beeep], he's bigger than most of the bears on our property! He definitely was the King of Woods. I am proud of the success and, he will be providing us with several hundred pounds of sausage for us to share with friends and family. Because he was a Bar, he had none of the tell-tale stench of a typical pig of this size. The meat was clean and covered with a thick layer of fat. We are definitely looking forward to getting this meat back from the processor.

Hog_1_zpsvggwuqlp.jpg

Vic

Vic,

One of our hunters on our Georgia lease killed a barr hog that went about 350 pounds a couple of years ago and he was excellent eating and the sausage was GREAT.

My experience with those older boars is that they're very hard to pattern and that might very well be how they get that big and old without being killed by a hunter.

We have a few phantom bucks that show randomly on our game cameras too and are genuine wall hangers. Somebody might get lucky one day and get them or the coyotes will bring them down when they're too old to fight them off.

Game cameras have given us some big advantages but in the end it seems that the trophy animals become almost completely nocturnal and even with night vision equipment are very rarely seen.

The dog hunters collect some monsters every once in awhile because they can root them out from their daytime hideouts.

Anyway. Good on your buddy. Nice hog. Hopefully you'll get some of the sausage...
wink.gif

$bob$

Originally Posted By: LDhunterVic,

One of our hunters on our Georgia lease killed a barr hog that went about 350 pounds a couple of years ago and he was excellent eating and the sausage was GREAT.

My experience with those older boars is that they're very hard to pattern and that might very well be how they get that big and old without being killed by a hunter.

We have a few phantom bucks that show randomly on our game cameras too and are genuine wall hangers. Somebody might get lucky one day and get them or the coyotes will bring them down when they're too old to fight them off.

Game cameras have given us some big advantages but in the end it seems that the trophy animals become almost completely nocturnal and even with night vision equipment are very rarely seen.

The dog hunters collect some monsters every once in awhile because they can root them out from their daytime hideouts.

Anyway. Good on your buddy. Nice hog. Hopefully you'll get some of the sausage...
wink.gif

$bob$

Spot on Bob, indeed why these get so darn big. Thank goodness they aren't many "smart" ones like this Godzilla or the hog population issues may be a magnitude worse than they all ready are!

Vic

We have a half dozen of those elusive giant hogs we are after, every couple of months we meet up with another one....

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVC The D-790 is probably the very best optical image I've ever looked through in regards to a NV device. Hands down it surpasses the original Raptor NV scopes both 4x and 6x in contrast and clarity, and that is a huge compliment.

Vic

Vic,
Would you also say he 790 is better than the Aquila 6X I bought from you last summer.
Does it also draw more light or just a sharper image.

Originally Posted By: family guyOriginally Posted By: Victor_TNVC The D-790 is probably the very best optical image I've ever looked through in regards to a NV device. Hands down it surpasses the original Raptor NV scopes both 4x and 6x in contrast and clarity, and that is a huge compliment.

Vic

Vic,
Would you also say he 790 is better than the Aquila 6X I bought from you last summer.
Does it also draw more light or just a sharper image.

Hi ya,

A sharper image with better contrast as well. Even better than the old Raptors. Light gathering is just abut the same, but the glass on the 790 is really something special.

Back