My setup. Help me out.

Just a feather attached to a stick via fishing line will do for a decoy, no reason to spend $30 on a decoy IMO.
You can make a set of shooting sticks with this stuff:
Plastic coated garden stakes
Wood 1/2" dowel rod.
Fiberglass driveway/snow stakes.
Ski poles
Green castration bands and BAM....you are set.

D.O.P.E. I know the acronym is usually applied to long range shooting but I've applied it to everything I do. Data On Previous Engagments, if your busted take a moment look at your stand, eg: wind direction does it swirl? Where is the sun/shadows, your trail in, where did they come in and where did you think they'd come from, take a look back at your spot from a coyotes perspective. Do the same on successful stands before long a pattern will become clear

DOPE.can't say I've ever herd that before but 338fan you hit it on the head.we should look back at every hunt-successful or not -and take things away from every one .excellent advice

Originally Posted By: RedfrogIt's easy to get caught up in "stuff" and suddenly realize it's a lot of work packing all this gear out to do a 15 minute stand.

There's a lot of 'stuff' you could get that you don't necessarily need when you start. Get some field time in and you will see what you need or don't need.

Work on your stand selection and calling. The gear you have will certainly kill coyotes if you get them in. Like others have said, a bipod or sticks will up your success rate. I don't use a decoy, but I know lots of folks who do.

I like a ghillie suit and a seat with a back rest, but I don't walk very far, preferring to setup quietly and call them to me.

IMHO this is the best advice. Whether its bowhunting, fishing or anything else me and my buddies all have different preferences. Best advice is before you spend a lot of money, get out there and see what you feel you are lacking, what would make you more successful and enjoy the hunt more, plot that against all the great advice given here and then move forward.

For me, its sticks over a bipod (too much weight). A Turkey vest will work great if you have one for staying organized. If you are willing, Id go ahead and get a dedicated predator vest. Both Cabelas and FoxPro make good ones with seats I believe. I plan to add a decoy to my Firestorm. Also, I think adding sounds to your list from FoxPro or otherwise is a good investment for your money I don't hear spoken about much.

On top of all that, hunting animals that are used to doing the hunting is a different ballgame. Experience will kill more dogs, cats and foxes than expensive gear ever will. Get out and call, learn from your mistakes (I have made a lot) and you'll become deadly year round.

Jake

Back