HELP!!!!

Wyotracker

I'm new to coyote hunting this year. I've done about 40 stands so far and have only called in 2 coyotes. I've tried slow calling, fast calling, and varying times between calls. I Do a lot of elk calling and have no problems there but can't figure out these mangy dogs. Any ideas?

You should live out this way. 40 stands and called in 2 doesn't seem that bad to me. lol

Keep at it and try to figure out what you might be doing wrong. First thing I learned once we had snow was there were no coyotes in some of the spots I was calling.

try more coyote vocalizations and pup distress calls. Forget the dying rabbit calls.if that doesn't work-try something completlydifferent from what you usually do.listen to duckstopper-you can't kill them if there not there.make sure there around where your calling or your waisting your time.keep trying it will happen-good luck

Find a night when the wind is calm. Go out around 9pm and do some locate calling with a siren until around midnight. Mark down on a map where you heard the coyotes howling back at you from. Then go back in the morning and do some female howls in those areas, followed up with some female submissive howls. Then get back on here and let me know how you did?

IM doing alot of spot and stalk right now. Once you know where they are going to be, just setup and kind of wait for them to come to you. That or howl around their denning area to call them out for targets of opportunities.
smile.gif

40 stands and 2 coyotes? Shoot, when I started this it took me almost 2 years before I saw a coyote. If you want instant gratification I'd say find a new hobby.

Do you hunt around cows? That's a good place to start to glass for them. I've pulled a lot of coyotes off of a herd of cows before....lots of pairs too....glass a heard of cows....there's usually some lurking around.

What part of WY?....check river bottoms too.....
Don't give up....they're out there...

I'm hunting around the Laramie, Cheyenne area. I've been hitting the herds of cows hard but with no luck. I'm trying fast calling, slow calling, different sequences. Once I pick a a distress call on a stand, I don't stray from it. Mostly using cottontail and jack rabbit calls. I use hand calls and haven't figured out the other sounds yet. I tend to call for about 30 sec and then wait a few minutes before calling again. I bought a howler from rareearth and really like it. It reaches out a ways through our wind.

Around the summit near Laramie would be a good spot man. With all of them rolling hills up there. Call for longer, try 1 minute then quiet for 2, 1 one, 2 off.....
Location howls are great for just that. Find them and sneak in on them.....they're having pups now so it's kind of slow.....try pup distress and see what you'll get....be ready for 2 or more....lol

Which part of Wyoming? I have had varying levels of success in Wyoming, depending on which part of Wyoming I was calling in. I have quite a bit of difficulty calling within 50 miles of the Utah border. I have quite a bit of success around Cheyanne.

Back