Wake up!People!!

Redfrog

They lost in AZ. NM. and NV. but they will be back, Get involved with local clubs and stop these idiots.

https://exposingthebiggame.wordpress.com/tag/contest-hunt-coyote/

How do they know so much about coyote hunting and contests?
They don't. There propaganda and SOP handbook, says so.
Read the first thing "Testify"

You don't need an opinion, they will give it to you and they encourage you to include your kids.

Can't "Testify".....no problem write an email. See 'talking points' to know what to say.

These people are organized, funded , committed and nuts enough to be taken seriously.

Ya know, what these yahoos don't realize, is I probably hunt less due to contests. For a few weeks leading up to a contest, I make myself stay home trying to save up what's out there...we gonna shoot the coyotes, what possible difference could it make to them if we get together and jackpot some cash to see who shoots the most?

I'm with Jeremy on this one, you don't like it, don't come see it...

It sure seems to me like they hate people. I read to the end of the article and my take away is that they think humans and hunters are the issue.

How do you rationalize with someone that seems to think you are wrong, and that people are the problem.

I would guess you don't.. You just get more organized and drown then out.

AZ is one of few states that collects harvest data on the number of coyotes killed annually by hunters. The AZ Game and Fish Dept. has annual hunter harvest data on coyotes going back for decades. Each year about 40,000 to 50,000 coyotes are taken statewide by an average of 13,000 hunters (2014 AZ Harvest Data; Page 178 Coyotes). Additional coyotes are taken each year by trapping, depredation (aerial gunning), and vehicle collisions.

So how many coyotes are taken each year in AZ by hunters participating in coyote contests statewide? Don't know, but if 1000 coyotes were killed in contests, then that's about 2% of the total. That's probably a reasonable estimate too.

If coyote hunting contests were allowed to continue like they have for decades, would it make a difference, NO! Would it make a difference if contests were banned, YES because it sets a precedence to ban other contests.

Don't believe the antis are only after coyote contests and will be satisfied banning one method that may result in 2% of the total number of coyotes killed.

The anti hunters are against killing animals period. They want all wildlife to be managed in parody with human life. Just look at their "talking points."

Last edited:
Quote:AZ is one of few states that collects harvest data on the number of coyotes killed annually by hunters.

Bob, is that done by a mail in survey of AZ license holders?

Typically..

I get a card in the mail and fill it out and drop it back in the mail..

They must track it, since i keep getting the card asking me about how many sand cranes and stuff like that i have killed.. I tossed it out, since i don't hunt them at all anyways.. But they have sent it repeatedly as well as for my 9yr old daughter too.

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:AZ is one of few states that collects harvest data on the number of coyotes killed annually by hunters.
Bob, is that done by a mail in survey of AZ license holders?
Yes, and an AZ hunting license is required to take coyotes for residents and non-residents.

Many states do not require a hunting license for coyotes, so if surveys are done on license holders, coyote harvest does not include those taken by people who were not required to have a license. Thus, the harvest data AZ collects represents all hunters taking coyotes which may be more complete.

Last edited:
They fail to mention the dramatic increase in human/domestic animal encounters with coyotes in California. Recreational coyote hunters also keep coyotes wary of danger/people, which isn't quantified either.

Take for example, Utah.

10 zillion + or - 50 coyote hunters in Utah. Hardly ever do you hear of coyote predation on domestics (fido, garfield or otherwise) in Utah.

[beeep], you hardly ever hear of a coyote hunter calling/killing a coyote in Utah.

Market hunting can be a good thing.

Lots of hidden benefits.

How come under there comments on there stores there are no hunters on there saying how wrong they are like they do on every hunting success story out there?

Unfortunatly we as hunters wont ever get "organized" or as funded as they are.
We have all seen how they attack and what do we do...NOTHING! That is besides whine & cry when they take (or try to) anther chunk out of our rights to hunt or get areas closed off.
Until we get together & STICK together we will continue to loose.
Just they way Ive been seeing it for 40 years+.
I fight locally and get involved, but to my dismay I see very little input from my fellow hunters right in my own back yard.

Quote:They must track it, since i keep getting the card asking me about how many sand cranes and stuff like that i have killed.. I tossed it out, since i don't hunt them at all anyways.. But they have sent it repeatedly as well as for my 9yr old daughter too.

I got a USFWS sand hill crane harvest survey in the mail myself yesterday. It clearly says at the top something to the effect of "please fill out the survey even if you did not harvest any sand hill cranes. If you did not hunt, please check the box to the right and return."

The return of such surveys are just as important as the return of those who actually did hunt and kill some. They count towards "return rate" and helps them determine how many people are actually hunting them.

Hello everyone!! YES I do hunt and support our RIGHT to hunt, but just asking why are there contests? I just started yote hunting 2yrs ago so, I guess I don't know about them. So I must admit I feel they sound weird to me. Please be nice, and could you let me know why do we have them? Now as far as I am concerned we do unite as its our "rights", to hunt. I was brought up hunting, I was told I got to go with Dad or Grandpa gun deer when I could walk!

Why do people play poker, bet on games, play slots etc. Its no different. Its just a way to do what you do every weekend (or however often you hunt) to make a little cash. Its also a way to meet other people that coyote hunt, share stories, shoot the bull, maybe learn a new tactic.

Originally Posted By: icope2000Hello everyone!! YES I do hunt and support our RIGHT to hunt, but just asking why are there contests? I just started yote hunting 2yrs ago so, I guess I don't know about them. So I must admit I feel they sound weird to me. Please be nice, and could you let me know why do we have them? Now as far as I am concerned we do unite as its our "rights", to hunt. I was brought up hunting, I was told I got to go with Dad or Grandpa gun deer when I could walk!

Why do we have fishing contests?
Why do we have deer hunting contests?
Why do we have squirrel hunting contests?

Not putting your position or you down, just pointing out that hunting contests have been around for a long time. Another example would be the old fashioned "turkey shoot".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZIt sure seems to me like they hate people. I read to the end of the article and my take away is that they think humans and hunters are the issue.

How do you rationalize with someone that seems to think you are wrong, and that people are the problem.

I would guess you don't.. You just get more organized and drown then out.

Actually, I'm pretty sure people are the problem...just not the ones they think are. It's the ones who's sense has been poisoned by the concrete they walk around on all day every day...it's the ones in their mirrors.

Life is competition--we compete in everything we do--school, sports, finding a mate, our jobs etc. why not compete to see who can harvest the most as a hunter?

Az has 40,000 to 50,000 coyotes killed per year? If I remember right (and I may not) Utah had between 7000 and 8000 turned in for bounty. Question I have for anyone are those numbers right? If so that is surprising.

I could get carried away on this topic but I won't.it would end up many pages long and my blood pressure would go sky hi.in a nut shell I agree with stu's last post.there are a lot of good points brought up -but we will never change their minds.Some people need to get a life

Back