Funny Stand

kylesredapple

We were sitting in the dark, 100 miles from the house, and I just could not wait to make our first stand. I convinced my two hunting partners that we would be fine setting up in the dark and we could wait to start calling until it was light enough to see. Tuffy (flambeau decoy coyote) was eagerly waiting in his "excited to get the rabbit pose" 80 yards away, the mojo and fox pro rested next to an ant pile just to the right of Tuffy, while the three of us faced east. I needed to get there in the dark because this particular stand is in a wide open flat with no cover for us but plenty of small arroyos and brush for the coyotes, and if I played my cards right, the dim light would provide the cover we needed. Still dark, the resident pair of coyotes began to howl behind us at the windmill a few hundred yards away.

Oh man, I thought, we are in business! My mind was fidgeting like a sixth grader during a math test. "can I see enough to shoot?" I convinced myself that yes, yes I could and I lit up the calm morning with a howl. Not just any howl, a howl from the fox pro turned up at full volume because I didn't check the volume setting. Buddy to left jumps in surprise, buddy to right chuckles at buddy to left. I shoulda given them a heads up.

A minute later, I switch to distress. Within seconds, I see a black blur streaking in from the right about 300 yards away.... Stupid sixth grade mind. I can't see, buddy to right can't see, buddy to left is old and couldn't see anyway. 200 yards and closing the black blur dips into a defalade and out of sight.

"Get ready to shoot" I hiss.

"At what?" they return.

Tuffy seems look our way and smile, "Buncha dummies" he seems to say,

"Shut up Tuffy" I think.

100 yards out, the black blur bolts from the ravine and pulls up when Tuffy gives him the stink eye.

"Woohoo, I can see!" says I to me.

I pull my face toward the scope and lo and behold, 12 power turned all the way up from shooting paper targets the day before. I got a nice, detailed view of a sage brush, some dirt and what could possibly be a stink bug pecker.... No, No I can't see.

I look over the scope to find black blur peeking over a bush eyeing Tuffy and his meal, I turn down the scope, settle in and click.... Who knew you had to have a bullet in the chamber to shoot? Not me I guess.

I holler at buddy to the right in my best TV Show personality voice

"Take him"

(loooooong pause)

"Uh, You gonna shoot or what?" Buddy to the left says at full fox pro volume.

Crap, I jack a shell in the chamber as Tuffy fends off the coyote and the coyote begins to exit stage right.

I settle in with my cross hairs and "Boom"

Sixth grade brain says "not your boom, buddys boom, you suck."

I look up to see the coyote making like Usain Bolt in the Olympics and hear buddy to left say "I got him guys"

That's crap, no you didn't, that coyote just won the 400 meter dash.

So I call bs, out loud to blind buddy on the left, he points about 100 yards to the left of him and I see the tail wagging of some other coyote.

Buddy on the right is looking around like somebody stole his wallet. "I never saw anything" he says.

I quietly retrieve Tuffy and the mojo while buddy on the left grabs his prize, as we are walking back to the truck, I hear...

"You know, wait 5 more minutes and we could all see whats going on."

Sixth Grade brain wants to flick a buger in his Dr. Pepper.

Sounds like my entire last week. I had two friends from back home come hunt with me for a week...at night with thermal and night vision. They missed 2 coyotes broadside standing still at 50 yards, didn't get a shot off at 2 others at about 100 yards and missed a huge boar hog standing broadside in a wide open field. We checked the guns before and after and both guys shot both guns perfectly. We had so much fun though that it "almost" doesn't matter that they severely educated coyotes in a couple of my spots...it usually takes me months to get that many to the call and that all happened in 2 nights of hunting. The only good thing is it gives me so much ammo to talk sh*t to them until they make a feeble attempt to redeem themselves next year.

You must be my clone! I get that crap every once in a while. I used to take myself too seriously and woulda been pissed! Now I learned to smile and think about how funny it is to screw up every once in a while!!!

lol.gif
lol.gif
Hilarious!

Regards,
hm

I called 14 coyotes that day... There wasn't enough space to write about the whole day, but by the end, 7 had fallen and I am still laughing about the circumstances of the 7 that got away.

I wish I was with you bro. I've had plenty of those stands. I I had been hassling my cousins csuse they had been missing everything I called in. Then I missed 2 goods bucks on my archery hunt and couldn't help but think it was karma for hassling them.

I wish you were with me Matt. Cause I shot one coyote that day. I gave up trying to shoot about half way thru the day and left my firearm in the truck. my two companions did all the shooting. Just one awful performance on my part. And NoName, I am going to Georgia in a month to try my hand at the all night thermal hunting of hogs. Hopefully my shooting improves by then!

that story reminded me of my hunt last Sunday night.everything went wrong-it was a fiasco.still laughing about it.thanks for sharing your story-someday soon I'll post mine and everyone can have a good laugh

Back