suppressor length and barrel length

jacobhwrd

I am buying a new coyote gun this weekend and starting the process for a suppressor in the next few weeks (hopefully) and i have a couple of questions before i start dropping money on everything. I have all but decided to go with the Ruger American Predator but i am on the fence about what barrel length go with. I can get it in 22" and 18". I hunt in terrain ranging from hills, mountains, rolling pastures to flat corn fields far out of range of a 223. My question is would having the shorter barrel really hinder me as far as range goes or accuracy? And a side question is why are all suppressors so varied in length? I understand manufactures specs and all but if a 6" suppressor is as good as a 9" suppressor why bother with the extra length?

Last edited:
A shorter barrel will only hinder your velocity, as long as you know your trajectory you can use hold over or dial very effectively.
Suppressors range in length for a variety of reasons, some like the shorties so its easier to maneuver the rifle, generally the longer the can the better suppression you will get, although there is a trade off where the length and cost of added material doesn't give enough sound suppression to justify the added cost... which is why you will see most .224 caliber cans within the happy medium 7" range give or take a couple.

Ok thanks. Also do you have any experience with with having a barrel threaded? I actually want to go with a different rifle but its not offered with a threaded barrel so i decided to go with the Ruger Predator. Is there any kind of minimum thickness for a barrel to be before you have it threaded or other considerations? I would hate to spend 11-1200 on a gun and have it ruined by bad machining. Thanks again in advance.

Edit: I just realized who you where when i saw the add in your signature then where you are from. Great youtube channel. One of my only 3 subbed channels.

Last edited:
Quote: Is there any kind of minimum thickness for a barrel to be before you have it threaded The place that I got my suppressor wants at least .625" OD for 1/2' x 28 threads. Not sure what OD you'll need for the 5/8" thread for .30 cal can.

Originally Posted By: songdog Quote: Is there any kind of minimum thickness for a barrel to be before you have it threaded The place that I got my suppressor wants at least .625" OD for 1/2' x 28 threads. Not sure what OD you'll need for the 5/8" thread for .30 cal can.

5/8 is gonna need .720 bare minimum OD.

Originally Posted By: jacobhwrd
Edit: I just realized who you where when i saw the add in your signature then where you are from. Great youtube channel. One of my only 3 subbed channels.

Thanks bro... Hope you find this place entertaining and helpful!

I would go with the 18" on a 223. You're not going to gain much velocity going to 22" on a 223. If it was a 243 it would be a different story. Also consider a 30 cal can the db difference will not be noticeable at the ear.

Good advice so far and I'll through my 2 cents in. I would go with the 18" as it will be handier in tight situations but also shorter barrels are stiffer and typically have less POI shift than a long barrel. The single most important thing you can do is make SURE whom ever threads it for a can and knows what they are doing. HUGE difference than a guy cutting non concentric threads to slam a flash hider on! Also look around as there are suppressor manufatures out there that offer a system that is modular and will allow you to use it on all your guns provided the diameter is the same or smaller than the can. Good luck and welcome to the dark side.

Back