6.5 grendel build questions

dan158

was going to go with a 20 prac or 17-223... Then I seen how much fun the 6.5 Grendel looked at long range shooting.. I am going that way..

My JP barrel cam with the bolt for the 204... I would like to get another JP barrel but they don't offer it the 264 caliber that is the same as the 6.5..

would the 6.5 be just as accurate as the 264?
Does BHW barrels come with the bolt and head spaced?

Thanks all.. Dan

Accuracy will vary from barrel to barrel and bullet choice to bullet choice. Historically I have not found the BHW 264 giving up accuracy to the 6.5 with any bullet.

BHW doesn't sell barrel/bolt combinations but they will take your bolt and work with yhat. Tactical Ammunition sells bolts and they can fix you up with BHW.

Their 264 LBC barrels shoot lights out and are great to work with. Ritch can get you set up and save you a few bucks too. Plus being a sponsor he wants to keep everyone satisfied. He can and will tell you who makes the barrel and you get your choices as opposed to what is on the shelf and MIGHT show up in a month or so or...not at all.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterAccuracy will vary from barrel to barrel and bullet choice to bullet choice. Historically I have not found the BHW 264 giving up accuracy to the 6.5 with any bullet.

BHW doesn't sell barrel/bolt combinations but they will take your bolt and work with yhat. Tactical Ammunition sells bolts and they can fix you up with BHW.

Their 264 LBC barrels shoot lights out and are great to work with. Ritch can get you set up and save you a few bucks too. Plus being a sponsor he wants to keep everyone satisfied. He can and will tell you who makes the barrel and you get your choices as opposed to what is on television shelf and MIGHT show up in a month or so or...not at all.

Greg

I got a bolt that I changed out from my crosshills xsr upper... Will that bolt work or will I need a 6.5 specific bolt for them to work with??
Thanks. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: GLShooterAccuracy will vary from barrel to barrel and bullet choice to bullet choice. Historically I have not found the BHW 264 giving up accuracy to the 6.5 with any bullet.

Their 264 LBC barrels shoot lights out and are great to work with. Ritch can get you set up and save you a few bucks too. Plus being a sponsor he wants to keep everyone satisfied. He can and will tell you who makes the barrel and you get your choices as opposed to what is on television shelf and MIGHT show up in a month or so or...not at all.

Greg

I got a bolt that I changed out from my crosshills xsr upper... Will that bolt work or will I need a 6.5 specific bolt for them to work with??
Thanks. Dan

BHW uses an LBC bolt that is 0.125 deep. If they use a Grendel. 0.135 deep they will need to know about it to adjust the chamber depth. I have had no issues with the shallow bolt on eight builds. I don't know how deep yours is.

Greg

Bhw uses a 7.62x39 bolt on all their new barrels, the 264lbc is a tack driver Ive shot mine out to 1000 and got sub moa out of it.

Originally Posted By: SteveB22250 Bhw uses a 7.62x39 bolt on all their new barrels, the 264lbc is a tack driver Ive shot mine out to 1000 and got sub moa out of it.

Tactical Ammunition is furnishing bolts for the 264 that are different in the tail than the 7.62X39. I have used both with no issues.

Greg

Originally Posted By: dan158Is the bolt .125 or .135? I was reading that the 125 is going to be obsolete and the 135 is the better choice..
A 264 LBC from BHW will normally be the 125. You can special order it for the 135. The 264 LBC bolt from TA is 125. They have also sold the Grendel types at 135.

Obsolete? Don't tell that to the guys building barrels for BHW and a couple other companies I know of. There's a lot of Kool aid out there on that theory.

After literally hundreds of the 264 LBC and variants out there from BHW I have yet to hear of a bolt breakage. I know my eight are running strong. I guess I live right. I also know that a 125 bolt is far easier to obtain day in day out than a 135. As a matter of fact the only 135 bolt usable chambers being done by them are the 264's. The rest like the 20, 22 and 243 are all 125 users by default of design.

The great thing is you can have it your way. Give Ritch a call and he can get you fixed up.

Greg

Back