Two misses...Help.

Bluestreak

Newbie here. I'm in NC hunting some areas where reaction time is pretty tight. I've had two dogs come it to my Jack Daddy at full speed, get about 5' from it and turn 90 degrees and bail. Last night, decoy was placed at about 30 yards out in a small opening. By the time I reacted I got a shot off and missed a running yote at 17 yards.

Do I need to stop using a decoy in these setups? Change over to a shotgun? My setup is a red light system on an AR .223. If not using a decoy, will they come in a little slower? More of searching vs attacking?

you gotta get them to stop before getting to the decoy. bark, growl, whistle, YELL if you have to.
Keep using the decoy, its working...In tight spots like you described a shotgun could be usefull to.

Last edited:
I think I would try my shotgun if there coming in that fast.I would still use my decoy.you have them coming to your setup-just change guns and see how that works.don't change anything else-that's what I would do-good luck

This may sound strange, but you have to aim high when engaging a target at less than 40 yards.

Or you could zero your rifle at 25 yards..........but that plays havoc on longer shots.

Our team runs scopes with a BDC reticle and we constantly train to use the first BDC on close/moving shots with a darn near 100% success rate.

Are you using sticks or anything? Most of my hunting is close quarters to and I free hand it with an AR. I also, despite some success with it, switched from the red dot to the Nikon p223 zeroed at 75 yds and my shot to connection ratio drastically improved. I also changed how I sit and now place myself so that where I think they are going to come from is to my L (I'm a righty) and always keep both hands on the gun in shooting position.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jf1073Are you using sticks or anything? Most of my hunting is close quarters to and I free hand it with an AR. I also, despite some success with it, switched from the red dot to the Nikon p223 zeroed at 75 yds and my shot to connection ratio drastically improved. I also changed how I sit and now place myself so that where I think they are going to come from is to my L (I'm a righty) and always keep both hands on the gun in shooting position.

Thank you for the info. The set up I had last night had 4 roads coming into a small field surrounded by cover. Admittedly, I was set up and focused on 3 roads where I figured the dogs would come in from. Those were downwind. This one came out of the upwind road and it was the road where I was blind to his entry until he was about 20 yards from the decoy. So there was a surprise factor on my behalf. I use the Primos trigger sticks.

I wish I had that kinda success with a decoy. Like the others have said, Bark, whistle or something to get them to stop, or bring a shotgun and do both.. Best of luck to you.

Thanks so much guys. I will prob try the shotgun but most importantly, bark. Being a deer hunter I've stopped walking deer with a subtle "psst" sound. But thought any sound from me would cause the already difficult situation to become worse. Good to know!

I'll wait a week and get back at them. I'm close! Just got to finish the deal. I've learned a lot on here by being a lurker for a while. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Dewey NYI wish I had that kinda success with a decoy. Like the others have said, Bark, whistle or something to get them to stop, or bring a shotgun and do both.. Best of luck to you.

I had some success before I got the decoy with just the e caller but they wouldn't get close enough for my set up and property location. My wife bought the FP Jack Daddy for my birthday, combines motion with sound via remote. My success went way up so far. Just got to get the dang dogs on the ground!

Originally Posted By: GTOHunterPut out a Feather on a Stick.....simple Decoy that's cheap,easy to carry and works great!

AND, most importantly, you won't cry like a baby if you take the aforementioned shotgun advice and pepper it with pellets taking a hurried shot.

don't know if you have seen it before but I have "Mastering The Art"of predator calling by Randy Anderson.very helpful. Its more than coyote killing.he covers many things.stopping a coyote is one of many different subjects.very good dvd

A load bark is always good to throw at a hard charger. January and February were strange for me, all the yotes I called in came straight at the caller regardless of wind, and they came hard! You just never know.... Work on the short game or bring a shotgun. As far as the fox jack or mojo critter witch I use, really seems to focus there attention. Witch is good you can get away with a little more movement. We all miss... It will come together.

Good luck

Back