AR scope selection

cwill

I have posted on another forum with no replies so I thought I would try it here. I have a recent AR build and have shot it with a zeiss but was wondering if the leupold Mark AR scope line was worth a shot. Anyone have experience with this scope?

What do you want to do with your AR. Target shooting? Hunting? What are you hunting and under what conditions and what type of terrain? When you answer all those questions for yourself you will be more prepared to choose the right optics. IMHO.

I personally use a Nikon M-223 Scope with a 600 BDC reticle and a 42 mm objective and it zooms from 4x to 16x.

I found this scopes field of view at night was too small. So I went and purchased a EOTech EXPS3-4 with the 3x flip to the side magnifier. This outfit is good from point blank range out to over 200 yards. All I have to do is hold the AR steady and squeeze the trigger without moving the rifle.

For coyote hunting, I have become partial to the Burris FFII w/ballistic plex reticle in either 3-9 or 4.5-14 depending upon expected range. The 3-9 being ample to 300 yds. IMO, but around 300, or for target work, the 14x shines and 4.5 is no hindrance at close range. I did shoot over a couple of 300 yard shots before (I'm ashamed to admit this) actually shooting the reticle @ 300 on paper. Found that, on my rifle, with my 55 gr. NBT load zeroed @ 100, I can use main crosshair out to 200 yards and should have been using the 200 yd. hatchmark for 300 yard shots.

Having said that, I put a Leupy Mk AR on one AR and it works as advertised. That is, when zeroed @ 100, then setting elev. knob to zero, the "comeups" are pretty well on out to 300 w/most 55 gr. bullets. Problem is, coyotes don't tend to stand still long enough to be cranking on elevation knobs IME.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996I have become partial to the Burris FFII w/ballistic plex reticle in either 3-9 or 4.5-14 depending upon expected range. The 3-9 being ample to 300 yds.
+1 ..

I've got a burris 536 on my 16" barrel rock river and an M 223 with the BDC recticles. I like em both, I have a hard time deciding which one to take out.

I have been really happy with my 1.25-4 VXR on my calling rifle. Can (and have) made shots out a little past 300 yards and makes for the close in ones that charge the decoy (or me) a lot easier. The illuminated reticle is nice too for early morning or late evening. There is a similar model mark ar offered in a 1.5-4 with green illumination instead of red (on the VX-R). I have a 3-9 Mark AR Mod 1 and the glass is nice. The other plus with those is that they are very lightweight. The 1.5-4 weighs in at just under 10 ounces.

Last edited:
Nikon M223 can be had for $400 or so on sale and can sometimes be found with a free one piece mount thrown in.
I have a couple Leupolds and the rest are Nikons. For the money, it's impossible to beat Nikon IMHO.

\Nikon started life as a camera and lens maker, so has some of the best glass going

I have a Mark AR 1.5x4 illuminated green dot on a Rock River and like it a whole bunch so far. Pretty versatile general purpose piece of glass.

I put my Burris Full Field II on my Remington Model 660 in 222 cal and it shoots pretty good out to 200 yards. I think I zeroed it in at 50 yards and 200 yards.

I put the Nikon M-223 600 on my AR 15 Ambush Firearms 5.56 rifle and zeroed it at 50 yards and 200 yards.

I shoot at a ranges that has a 200 yard target but wish I had a 500 yard range to shoot at.

Back