Need help closing the deal

jethro21

Hey guys, I haven't posted in awhile, been lurking and using the search function for the most part cause I don't feel I have much to contribute.

Anyway, I have had a recurrent issue lately when calling. I use mainly vocalizations and rarely distress calls (haven't had good luck with them) when calling. Today I started my 2nd stand with some female howls and immediately had 2 groups and a loner open up. I was over looking a flat that was about 200 yards wide and I could tell the loner was close, with 100 yards close. Well we talked back and forth for over 5 minutes but it never showed. Finally I got impatient and blew a rabbit call at which time my loner shut up and was never heard from again.

I had this same thing happen last time I was out- I had dogs on either side of me going back and forth but nothing showed itself.

For both of these instances I was in good cover and elevated with minimal wind.

Any suggestions on how to close?

Thanks,
Jethro

Last edited:
I would quit talking to them as it's hard to tell what you are actually saying in yote language. It also depends on how hard the area gets called for the sound I would use. If it gets called a lot, use something other than the standard rabbit distress as that is almost everyone's go to call. If there are deer where you are, try fawn distress or even chicken distress or pup distress. Yotes seldom pass up the chance at a free meal.

Good luck and hope you seal the deal on 'em soon

Don't feel like I'm really qualified to answer but I had the same situation and what I ended up doing was only playing the call once every five minutes, had one sneaking in that I got.

Casey

this time of year coyotes have heard just about every call.try something different.mix it up-think outside the box and oh yea -tri a little more patience

If they respond I'd howl once more, wait a good long while. If the don't come check ya out remind them you're there. Don't be afraid to wait. I had a similar situation a while back.I left that stand to go deeper into the property. When I came back coyotes had come in to check out what was going on after I left. I also agree with pup distress.

Last edited:
At this time of year I try to mimic their vocals as closely as possible. Then when the silence comes it often means they are irritated and sneaking in to see if they can kick my butt.
This is when the smallest movement can give you away.

I was just remembering that I have one of Randy Andersons DVDs"mastering the art" predator calling.there is a hunt on there where a coyote hangs up at 300 to 400 yds.he tries everything and all the yote does is bark at him.so every time it vocalized he did the same sound on a mouth call.it went on for awhile till finally it came in for the shot just like tripod3 said.give it a try-if it worked once it could work again.JUST BE PATIENT. Good luck

Back