Atlantic Canada Coyotes

jcob

Hey folks, I'm up here in atlantic Canada and I'm having some trouble calling in yotes. Its deep snow up here(at least 4' and drifts up 12')but its relatively hard snow and I'm still seeing lots of tracks around. I just recently purchased a wildfire 2 and I'm wondering if I'm using it all wrong. I've been starting with 10 minutes of pup distress 3 followed by 5 minutes of silence. Then 5 minutes of a mix of female long howls 1 and female deep howls. Then 5 minutes of silence. Then 10 minutes of lighting jack or some other rabbit distress. 5 more minutes of silence then I'll throw in 5 minutes of female challenge. wait 10 minutes and pack it in. Sometimes I will get responses to the howls and challenges but nothing ever seems to step out of the woods into the field. Any advice on my calling method would be appreciated!

I'm not sure about Atlantic Canada but at least around my parts this is kind of an odd time of year for calling due to breeding season as well as the end of a long season of hearing many calls for the yotes, and not to mention the seasonal changes that are taking place. That being said they can be had.
Were it any other time of year other than the present, I'd probably encourage you to lay off so many varied coyote vocals at the onset of a stand and maybe save them for the end. Or perhaps start with a lone female howl, wait, and then try some distress, and end with coyote/pup stuff if its been a dry stand. There's a lot of different opinions out there though.

Last edited:
You have coyotes on PEI ? Is that since the bridge ? Last time I was there was in the 80's, Ferry only. Beautiful place, even in the rain. I've been to PEI, N.B., N,S., Newfoundland, & Ontario, and never had a bad time. I've given Quebec four chances, beautiful also, if you don't have to deal with the people.

Masshunter- LOL no they didn't take the bridge...or the ferry that I know of. They came across the ice in the late 70s early 80s and the population has skyrocketed since.

JF1073-Thanks for your advice. I started with a hand call and a 22-250 back in early december. called one out with the hand call and missed. Read forums and everything I could find online all winter, kept making stands even with the worst winter on record here. bought my foxpro in febuary and still nothing. finally yesterday I post looking for help and you reply. when I set up this morning, i said the [beeep] with it, I got nothing to lose. Took your advice, howled once threw on some snowshoe hare distress and 12 minutes later I have a dead coyote at 137 yards away!

Welcome to PM & hunting the hunter ! Congrats on your first, you will always remember this one !

One thing the guys on here all agree upon : No pictures - didn't happen !

IMG_0355_zpsfi2mvmxg.jpg

That's fantastic Bud. Congrats on a beautiful coyote, you earned that one for sure.. When it all finally comes together for ya, it sure helps boost the confidence doesn't it.. :)..

Back