Can an AR handle Max loads?

Pack_Wolf

I have some ammo loaded to Max to shoot in a break action H&R. I want to shorten the coal and shoot them in my AR. It would be a max load also.

Any help here?

Pack

What length are they now? Does the book say they are ok? I might be a bit concerned if I didn't have some wiggle room at the top at book lenght.

Greg

The only max is what your rifle tells you is max. No book can accurately predict how your rifle will handle the pressures. Pull a few, work them back up to that load and determine if they are safe that way...it is the only way to do it and not accidentally over pressure your rifle.

What powder / bullet are you running. In My DPMS sweet 16 in run 26 gr of varget with a 50 gr Nosler, as well as 25gr of varget with a 69gr nosler. Both are compression loads and ive yet to have issues, or any signs of pressue. My COL for both is 2.25"

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The only max is what your rifle tells you is max. No book can accurately predict how your rifle will handle the pressures. Pull a few, work them back up to that load and determine if they are safe that way...it is the only way to do it and not accidentally over pressure your rifle.

+1

Originally Posted By: Smokin250What powder / bullet are you running. In My DPMS sweet 16 in run 26 gr of varget with a 50 gr Nosler, as well as 25gr of varget with a 69gr nosler. Both are compression loads and ive yet to have issues, or any signs of pressue. My COL for both is 2.25"

Varget is a slow burning powder for . Thats why most higher end loads are compressed.

OP I would work up a load. Gas guns can be more pressure sensitive due to gas system variances.

Shooting reloads for one Rifle (your H&R) in another Rifle (your AR) sometimes spells trouble in an AR.
Go ahead and shorten your OAL, then,
Break your AR open , remove the carrier and bolt and try dropping some rounds in the chamber by hand to see if they will fall in the chamber freely, If not, DON"T try to fire them in the AR. They will get stuck in your Chamber, then your in for a real treat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pack_WolfI have some ammo loaded to Max to shoot in a break action H&R. I want to shorten the coal and shoot them in my AR. It would be a max load also.

Any help here?

Pack

Does your AR have a 5.56 , Wylde, or other chamber designed for 5.56 NATO loads??

Does your AR have a .223 Rem SAAMI chamber designed for SAAMI loads??

Are your loads .223 Rem SAAMI max loads or are you loading to 5.56 NATO max pressures??

The AR is plenty strong but differing load produce differing pressures in differing chambers.

Do you know what chambers you have and what "max" loads you are speaking of?

I probably didn't give enough information.
I had a .204 Ruger upper made by Predator Technology Group and since this H&R will no longer be shot much now,..I thought I would take the rounds for it at the max loading of Bench Mark and a longer COL, and just adjust the bullet to magazine specs.

The H&R has a long throat and I would have to adjust the COL to fit the mag. I only wanted to break in the barrel before I worked up a load for it. I'm sure that this load may not be my shooting load. So it was a matter of expediency and cost effectiveness.

My question about the max load is concerning pressure, spring rebound, inertia effects on the bullet, and anything else you may think of.
I did so a search for information and spent lots of time in the google areas looking for AR's and Maximum loadings but didn't find much.
I have not heard of Max loads being used even in service rifles.

Some of you have given me things to consider,..and thank you.

Pack

Too much pressure is going to be your only problem. Do you have any means of pulling the bullets? I would much rather back off to a middle of the road charge to start than max.

Pack Wolf....Max Plus pressure problems in the AR, especially with the .204 cartridge can show up in several points of the action...Most significantly of concern is the locking lugs on the bolt...While you may get by with limited use, the lugs have the ability to develop stress cracks and shear off, allowing the bolt carrier group to shatter...the most common though would be for the case to rupture in the chamber...Either event can be injurious, if not deadly, to the shooter and bystanders...

If you have a copy of the Sierra load data, you will find they specify completely different loads for the AR as opposed to bolt action and other types of firearms and you would be wise to keep your loads withing reasonable AR specifications...

I shoot both AR and Bolt rifles in the .204 and .223, I never allow the reloaded ammunition developed for the Bolt to be shot in the AR...

You handloaded the rounds, just make up a few new test loads working up to just under your current ammo. If no over pressure signs adjust length fire away.

Thanks for you information , it was just what I was looking for before I did something that might become a problem. I'll work up some loads and break the barrel in as I go.

Thank you.

Pack

very rarely do max loads = accuracy loads.

youre probably going to be better served to pull them. salvage the powder and bullets, work up a proper ladder for your new gun and then pick what works best for it, then reload them accordingly.

always remember safety is more important than speed.

good luck with your testing.

Back