My setup. Help me out.

Nebraska Boy

This is my first post. I have been lurking for a while, and searching for information. I have been trying to make a transition from strictly deer hunting, and into predator/varmint hunting, and have slowly been growing my gear. I went out a few times last fall, and was able to draw some coyotes out of a draw. Unfortunately, I could not bring them within range of the AR I was using at the time. I also just got back last weekend from a Prairie Dog hunt in Valentine, NE, and had a great time. It was my first experience doing that, and I had a blast!

Please critique or make suggestions on something I may be missing or need. I would be looking to hunt mainly coyotes and the occasional prairie dog hunt. I have private family ground to do so in Northeast Nebraska. I am a teacher at a public school, and therefore do not have an unlimited budget.

Rifle: Ruger American Predator .223
Optics: Nikon P-223 3-9x40 BDC
Ammo: Hornady Superformance 53 grain V-Max in .223
E-Caller: Fox Pro Spitfire

I know that I need a bipod, I have been looking around. I also think I should get a decoy of some kind. Let me know your thoughts.

you've got all you really need in my opinion. throw in a mojo critter decoy for occasional use and possibly a predator hunting chair/mat and you're off and running

Welcome to predator masters
+1 on the mojo critter,chair and shooting sticks.
You didn't say but some good camo face mask and gloves will help
good hunting
Foggy

Last edited:
First response nailed it, a seat, decoy, and personally I prefer sticks to a bipod, but others disagree.

That is of course unless you can hunt at night in Nebraska...in which case there is still a lot of shopping you can do...

It's easy to get caught up in "stuff" and suddenly realize it's a lot of work packing all this gear out to do a 15 minute stand.

There's a lot of 'stuff' you could get that you don't necessarily need when you start. Get some field time in and you will see what you need or don't need.

Work on your stand selection and calling. The gear you have will certainly kill coyotes if you get them in. Like others have said, a bipod or sticks will up your success rate. I don't use a decoy, but I know lots of folks who do.

I like a ghillie suit and a seat with a back rest, but I don't walk very far, preferring to setup quietly and call them to me.

Don't need no bipod. How's that for good grammer? Guess maybe if your on your belly shooting way out there. But I still say skip the bipod and get a good seat instead. If your shooting skills need improvement, then perhaps a set of sticks. Some kind of head net, gloves are an optional item. Invest in a couple hand calls. I wouldn't mess with a howler yet, until you are the erudite caller. You'll probably howl wrong and scare them off.

I don't do any prone shooting, so it sticks for me. I also don't like a bipods weight and possible interference if I have to take an offhand shot

On your chair/stool selection, make sure it has wider pads on the feet so one, or all of the legs don't sink in soft soil.

Like Redfrog said, get some time in on stands and add things as you see a genuine need rather than a whole bunch of stuff at the start
Good luck and get after 'em
thumbup1.gif

I think you have everything you need except for a set of shooting sticks and a good mouth distress call and maybe a mouth howler. I'd get sticks before a bipod. Like was stated skip the other stuff for a while and just start making stand after stand after stand. Experience seeing coyotes coming in is what you need now. Watching them and learning from them. Then after it's over, examining what you did right and what you did wrong that led to success in not only calling the coyote but also getting it killed or not killed. It's easy to get caught up in gadgets. Keep it simple to begin with and then as you gain experience start experimenting with the other things. That's my advice.

Thanks for all of the info. I do have tons of camo clothes, headgear, gloves, etc. But, it is all of my bowhunting clothes, and is almost all Realtree AP. I am assuming this still works just fine? As far as the shooting sticks, I have a couple sets of the Primos trigger sticks, but they are all monopods that I use to rifle hunt from treestands. Do these work, or should I look at a bipod or tripod stick setup? I will look into a chair and may check out the mojo decoys. Thanks again for the info.

KISS. Keep it simple stupid.not you -coyote hunting.sounds like you have enough to get started.you can tweek things as you go but for know KISS.and yes monopod trigger sticks work.Are they the best -probably not but if that's what you have -use it. You can always upgrade later.go have fun-learn what works and what doesn't.good luck

In my opinion, the Realtree AP will work just fine, if you are setting up with a small tree/bush behind you.
In open pasture grasses...maybe, maybe not.
I have always preferred either M.O. Brush, or Cabela's Open Country for those stand locations, since having a nearby tree/bush isn't always an option.

The monopods will work just fine. In fact, sometimes they are easier to maneuver on a moving coyote than sticks or a bipod.
Just depends on what you feel comfy with using.

It sounds like you have all the actual "necessary" gear.
Setting up & closing the deal is much more important than having all the latest gadgets, IMHO.

Good luck!!!

Originally Posted By: Nebraska BoyThanks for all of the info. I do have tons of camo clothes, headgear, gloves, etc. But, it is all of my bowhunting clothes, and is almost all Realtree AP. I am assuming this still works just fine? As far as the shooting sticks, I have a couple sets of the Primos trigger sticks, but they are all monopods that I use to rifle hunt from treestands. Do these work, or should I look at a bipod or tripod stick setup? I will look into a chair and may check out the mojo decoys. Thanks again for the info.

I do not have a ton of coyote experience but I do have a s--t ton of general hunting experience. So, take my suggestions with that in mind.

A mono pod is a lot better than nothing, and can work better than some sticks when mobility is the most critical issue. Most sticks are a mono pod when the legs aren't splayed. Sticks will add greatly to your field accuracy and can be used to free one or both hands when you are set up. A tripod which can be used as two leg sticks sounds great for more static hunting and like no impediment for more mobile hunting compared to sticks, and I want one - the trigger stick version - but haven't tried one.

So hunt with your mono pods and try a set of sticks and choose what you like. Here is a link to guy's different home made shooting sticks for cheap: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1746132

FWIW, I also have a Harris bipod - prone to sitting length. It has it's place, but it is no where near a necessity. In more open territory I think it's utility would grow. Bipods need a traverse feature, imo. You can traverse with sticks...

IMO, any camo is better than no camo, and what type of camo, if any at all, is not nearly as important as not getting caught moving to begin with.

Some may view this differently, but, imo, a chair that is comfortable is pretty important. I wish I could love the turkey chairs, but getting my fat a-- out a low chair is a pita. A cheap dove stool is ok, but I prefer something with a back. On the other hand, I have a stool/daypack combo that is so convenient that I do without the back rest.

My 2 cents!

JPK

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisBipod as you stated and a set of shooting sticks.

Let me explain why all my rifles have a Bipod and i i always carry a set of shotting sticks.

Many times i have crested a hill etc.....and down below is an unaware coyote or two mousing in a field/creek.

It is much easier on a spot n stalk when you have a bipod, flip down and shoot. (Or free hand it) MISS!

As far as everyday shooting when i am in the wide open country i use my sticks.

I see my Bipods as an insurance policy for those coyotes that are unsuspecting targets of opportunity.

As others have stated, you will learn as you go and if you dont make any mistakes? You are a GOD!

Good luck! Oh and i don't think anybody else has said this in a post above, right now is the worst time to call coyotes!!

Your boots… you need to wear down the soles on some boots… your camo is good as long as you remain still and nothing is shiny, but it is important to get it dirty, preferably with blood… if not blood then coyote urine is as equally good… you will know you have everything you need when you add coyote blood and urine to your equipment…

And welcome
tongue_smilie.gif

I think you pretty much have what you need. Keep it simple.

Sitting height bipod works pretty good in flat country, but it doesn't take much of an up/down angle on the side of a hill to make them a PITA. Bog Pod makes a pretty good looking set of shooting sticks I have really been wanting to try, but they are kind of pricey. I usually just use a set of home-made shooting sticks because the price is right, and they are very versatile.

IMO, the best money you can spend at this point is in ammo for practice shooting off a set of sticks, and putting gas in your tank to go scout/call. Money spent in those two places will help you more than anything. Easy to get too caught up in all the gear. You already have what you really need, except experience. Go spend gas money and get that. Make your mistakes and learn from them.

EDIT to add: I don't think a decoy is necessary at all, there have been tons and tons of coyotes killed without them. I have one, but sometimes use it and sometimes not. I am not really convinced it makes that much of a difference. For out on the plains like you are, my favorite camo patterns would be M.O. Brush, and Nat Gear. Really hard to beat those patterns, or just tan Carharts.

Last edited:
I made this from a piece of oak found in the mud. It works as a mono or bi sticks. Also have even cleared a couple rattlers and whacked a couple porcupines square on the nose so they will comply for a few pics.

[img:center]
160becg.jpg
[/img]

[img:center]
r0v5hl.jpg
[/img]

Thanks again everybody for the info. I did buy a 9"-13" Harris bipod, and I got a small folding stool with a backrest. I will try out my Primos Monopod Triggerstick before I look at something else. I'm going to hold off on the decoy for now I think. Again, thanks for all of the help.

Back