Still Hungry

Dewey NY

Prior to this weekend the snow was so deep it made getting to my hunting grounds rather difficult.
I got to the farm and headed to my first stand. I brought along snowshoes because I wasn't sure the snow was firm enough to walk on. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was. I ditch the snowshoes and quietly move over the ridge and get set up. It was 26 degrees, snowing lightly, with a slight breeze. "Perfect".
The ridge overlooks a field and on the other side of the field is a thicket. I know coyotes move through this area and likely bed there, but I've never been able to call one in.
The caller is 30 yards to my left. I decide to start with Eastern Cottontail.
I started the Fox Pro Wild Fire on 5 for a few seconds(the call volume runs from 1-10), I ramped it up to 9 for a couple seconds and back down to 7..
Within 45 seconds here comes a hard charger angling across the field directly towards the caller. I paused the call. I tried to bark her to a stop in the field at about 80 yards but she was determined to find that distressed bunny. She crosses the small creek and slowly walks up the ridge. I lost sight of her for a second then she reappears. She's at 40 yards, the crosshair follows her past a couple trees. I bark softly, she stops broadside, I pressure the trigger and she rolls over twice dying without a last meal.
38.5 lb Female, still had good fur.
I was getting set up on my next set and had another coyote run across the field and into a thicket. No time to get the gun off my back and get a shot.. I'm still happy with the one..
I hoping to get out one more time before the season officially closes.
Thanks for looking.
100_0930_zpsugnxrysh.jpg

100_0937_zpsfe7kwqxw.jpg

100_0950_zpsx5ynwqeu.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thelonehowlerway to go Dewey.great pictures.where in the state are you located.I live about 1 hr. South of buffalo ny. Region 9j
I live about 20 minutes North of Syracuse in Liverpool area.

Back