Which Leupold for my first AR?

Leupold of course makes great scopes in wide variety. I'm originally from Oregon and have always been partial to them. After many years of using mostly Nightforce, and one US Optics (nice), I've switched my preference to Bushnell Elite. Great build quality, optics, and for me most importantly the RainGuard coating actually works in the weather. Got tired of trying to wipe off lenses or pop caps open in the rain, or even breathing on the ocular lens and "fogging" it up on the outside. My preference for my AR for longer range is an Elite 6500 2.5x-16x 50mm. With 30mm tube. Runs $650 on Amazon. Good flexibility with 2.5x for quick close shooting and up to 16x for longer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192IL86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Below is a quick pic while setting it up in a SWFA Bobro QD mount (also really nice). Anyway there are plenty of good scopes for your specific needs for your AR, just look around. It's starting to get hard to pick a bad one, at least from reputable scope manufacturers. I would recommend staying away from the really cheap scopes. If it's less than $100 for example, there's probably a reason :) Good luck in your search.

efkvgg.jpg

Oh, and just to clarify, you absolutely can't go wrong with a Leupold. However depending on your specific application it doesn't hurt to look around at all reasonable options. :)

I love my vx-r with the firedot. It's great for when an animal is moving and you need to find your crosshairs and get off a quick shot. Just put the dot where you need it and squeeze off the shot.

Did you buy a new scope yet? If not check out the burris xtrii in what ever power u wish. I have looked through a 1-5 or something like that it came with a red dot on the side a d a mount but the glass was great. If you got one what did u get and how do u like it?

I had a Nikon M 223 3-12X on my Rock River ATH. I sent it in to Nikon for the loose turret issue and they sent me an updated? version. Turrets were much more solid but I had a bad taste in my mouth already. The store that I purchased the Nikon from took it back for full purchase price and I replaced it with a 3-9X Leupold VX-R with Firedot and CDS. I love this scope. Great for all but the longest shots at very small targets. the Firedot has worked well in bright sunlight and at night.
Bobby

Have Burris FFII in 3-9 and 4.5-14 w/Bal plex, a Leup. Mark AR 3-9 and a Burris 30mm 3-9 w/E1 reticle. The 3-9's are ample for my old eyes out to 200-250; prefer the 14x beyond that.

Believe the E1 reticle is a bit easier to pick up:

201520Punta202920April20cat20012_zpsuwmzlbez.jpg

2015%20Punta%2029%20April%20cat%20019_zpslnwz4i2y.jpg

Have not checked the POI of (improved, IMO) E1 reticle at extended ranges yet, but suspect they will be pretty close and I really like the windage hash marks in comparison to elevation only on regular Bal. plex. reticle.

As for the Mk. AR, it is my least favorite due to the type hunting I do. YMMV. Predators seldom stand still long enough to allow time to crank up elevation on my scope. If I hunted PD's I might pick the MK AR, but I prefer ballistic plex type reticles for quicker target acquisition when hunting coyotes.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: gareyMy preference for my AR for longer range is an Elite 6500 2.5x-16x 50mm.
efkvgg.jpg

I agree on the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm for AR-15 versatility. I have the Elite 6500 in 4.5-30x50mm also, for even more range - just not on a small case AR-15.

I put a 2.5-16x50 on my most recent "coyote AR" build. I have a cheap Bushnell AR 3-9x40 as a place holder on one of the uppers - a 6.8SPC, but the intent is to be able to use the same Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x50mm scope on all 3 uppers (223/556 upper not pictured) by moving it over on the Burris QD PEPR and dialing the proper drop. Here it's shown mounted to the 204R upper on the rifle, with the temporary Bushnell AR scope on the lone 6.8spc upper.

BDCD2468-A174-4E8F-99D9-570F4AA706A0_zpswzirk6ig.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same gun in 24 and 20" and love them both. Super accurate and reliable. I happened to have a Leup AR 6-18x40 with Mildot ret. that just rocks. I have it sighted at 100 and with the first dot, dead nutz at 300. Don't have access to further ranges but really simplifies it. I think with Strelok I am using 16x. Pretty sure But love the setup.

If it was me I'd put a 2 x 7 on it plenty of power light compact short. It was that or the Burris E1, 2 x7 that I went with but it was a price driven decision not a heart felt one.

Back