6.5 Grendal fans

I have something similar to what you're looking to build. 20" lilja barrel with Luth AR stock. I think the only thing I'd do different is go with a 18" barrel (and possibly a collapsible buttstock). The 20" barrel with an 8" suppressor on it and a fixed stock isn't the most convenient setup for calling. I'm more inclined to reach for the shorter ARs.

I have a 20" Grendel that I run 123gr SMk in. Is one of the most accurate ARs I own. Here is a thread I put up a couple years back about it. One great thing about this round is the ammo Hornady offers in the SST and Amax rounds. I have run them both and while good rounds, just not the most accurate in my gun. For someone that doesn't reload though, they would be just fine. For a reloader the Lapua brass is about as good as it gets. It isn't uncommon to get 15+ reloads out of it.

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelI have a 20" Grendel that I run 123gr SMk in. Is one of the most accurate ARs I own. Here is a thread I put up a couple years back about it. One great thing about this round is the ammo Hornady offers in the SST and Amax rounds. I have run them both and while good rounds, just not the most accurate in my gun. For someone that doesn't reload though, they would be just fine. For a reloader the Lapua brass is about as good as it gets. It isn't uncommon to get 15+ reloads out of it.

Nice looking rifle! I am partial to the FDE myself.

Last edited:
I'm shooting a 20 bhw barrel on mine and love it. Deer and coyotes and it had not leery me down yet. Used a variety of bullets from the 95gr vmax, 100gr ttsx, 105 interbond and 123gr amax. Soon to be trying some 105gr gmx and 100gr whisky 3 precision bullets.

Mine's an 18" .264 lbc-ar Kies firearm upper. It has shot very well for the 5 or so years I've had it. Im still using the original bolt, but I don't hammer on it. As to loads, I run between 27.5 and 28 gr of 8208 under 123 Amaxes and SMKs. I laid in a stock of Lapua/AA brass when i bought the gun, but ive found the Hornady works just fine. I've found that ASC mags work best for my purposes. I can load out to 2.28 to 2.29 and the mags feed quite well.

I'm in the process of converting all my ars to side chargers. To that end I have a 22" BHW barrel in the safe and am waiting on the stripped upper. If it shoots as well as I think it will, I'll sell the 18 incher. Have fun.

I haven't personally seen any brass issues with Hornady brass. I usually shoot the factory then reload the brass.

As far as bolts, the only problems that I have seen and heard of involved certain barrels and certain bolts. There were some manufacturers in the past that were trying to make their own bolts from the 7.62x39 bolts with the wrong chamber dimensions and were getting headspace issues. Using the wrong bolt in the wrong chamber can cause slop between the lugs on the bolt and the lugs on the barrel extension. If you use the right bolt/chamber combination is the key. That and using the right powder loads.

Great shooter. Lots of fun to experiment with. Puts down coyotes, HARD.

A friend and I are also building 6.5 grendels. Pretty well exactly alike (guess we have the same tastes in guns). Have everything but the barrel. Ordered the 20" helical fluited barrel from ARP on 3/11 and still waiting on it. Last piece of the puzzle then it should be a finshed rifle. We were supposed to build cheap .225/5.56 ARs and it ended up not being cheap or in the caliber that we originally intended on building. I'll post a few pictures soon once I figure out how
blushing.gif

[img:center]http://ao9488.tumblr.com/post/114321890180[/img]

Edited in the picture. Hope it works.

Last edited:
url]

Got it all put together and shot a few rounds through it. Haven't had a chance to sight it in but I did hit steel at like 80 yards so that's a step in the right direction. Currently having issues with the bolt sticking in the chamber when a round is loaded and it doesnt want to pick up the next round or lock back when the magazine is empty. I have some cheap steel case ammo coming in Tuesday so I'm going to shoot a bunch through and see if that doesnt help. Hoping it's just not quite broken in yet. Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited:
I recently put an 18" AR Stoner barrel from Midway in a RRA upper. I shot it for the first time yesterday. I was really impressed. I shot a .33" inch group (3 shots) at 200 yards. I was shooting 123 grain Hornady SST.

@redleg84 how did you get a lilja barrel helically fluted like that? I want a lilja barrel in 20in length but a solid taper down which lilja doesn't offer directly. I am also building a precision Grendel and yours looks very similar to what I had in mind! How do you like the luth ar MBA? Im leaning toward it over the magpul prs myself.

@Klrdrvr how do you like a side charge upper for calling and hiking? I am looking very hard at the spartan side charge upper from joebobs. My only hesitation is worrying about how the rifle would hold up without a dust cover as I've never ran an AR-15 without a dust cover?

It's actually an ar precision barrel, 20 inch fluted. It's a great barrel but I havent had a chance to really test it. All the 6.8 guys seem to rave about em. I'm having trouble with the bolt sticking right now. The Luth-ar stock is great. Really lightweight and adjustable enough for me. The only gripe I have is that you have to buy a sling mount seperate.

Back