Adjustable gasblock issue

Coyotejunki

I put together a rifle the other night, and took it to the range yesterday afternoon. I started shooting some loads to sight in the rifle and to adjust the gas block to fully bring back the BCG enough to lock behind an empty magazine. I wasn't getting enough gas to do this. So last night I took the gasblock off and did some measuring. It seems that the hole for the in the top of the barrel and the one in the gasblock were not lining up correctly, I had to move the GB further out (.050") to get them to line up. See the picture. Is this normal?

I usually push the GB up against the shoulder on the barrel. It works fine now and I had to screw in the screw to reduce gas flow back tot he BCG.

My next question is with this adjustment screw that reduces gasflow back to the BCG, it is very loose in the GB and there is no set screw to keep it from backing out. Is there a trick to keep it in place, once adjusted? I was thinking of using locktite, but was worried it would breakdown do to heat from the barrel.

There is no problem with your gas block. It was made that way on purpose. It has the space to install a hand guard cap and not cover the gas port.

Use a little High Temp RTV silicone on the threads, adjust as normal. It will hold the screw and still let you adjust as needed.

Originally Posted By: R JohnsonThere is no problem with your gas block. It was made that way on purpose. It has the space to install a hand guard cap and not cover the gas port.

Use a little High Temp RTV silicone on the threads, adjust as normal. It will hold the screw and still let you adjust as needed.

Dang you Ritch!! LOL

Greg

SLR rifleworks has gas blocks that the adjustment screw clicks to let you know were it is set at and will not loosen if you are ever in the market for one check them out.

I don't recommend using a gas block with a detent. They are great when they are new but as soon as they get some rounds through them the detent ball locks them into whatever position they are in. Using silicone is a sure way to prevent this because carbon does not stick to high temp RTV.

Last edited:
Coyotejunki said:
Thanks guys, glad to hear this. The rifle is a shooter so far.

35gr Bergers and Benchmark at 100 yards

[/quote

Roger That!!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: R Johnson I don't recommend using a gas block with a detent. They are great when they are new but as soon as they get some rounds through them the detent ball locks them into whatever position they are in. Using silicone is a sure way to prevent this because carbon does not stick to high temp RTV.

SLR Rifleworks does not use tiny balls or springs that carbon up.

OMG, the dilemma begins. The barrel I ordered from Ritch just arrived. Looks great too. Now should I assemble another upper? This 20" barrel (newer one) is 3 ounces lighter than the 22" one I have been shooting. LOL
smile.gif

I can get it bead blasted for free, wish I could get it fluted for free. I might do both, and order a lighter scope mount instead of the pepr I have on it. Oh the decisions.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOMG, the dilemma begins. The barrel I ordered from Ritch just arrived. Looks great too. Now should I assemble another upper? This 20" barrel (newer one) is 3 ounces lighter than the 22" one I have been shooting. LOL
smile.gif

I can get it bead blasted for free, wish I could get it fluted for free. I might do both, and order a lighter scope mount instead of the pepr I have on it. Oh the decisions.....

Aero precision has a mount only 3oz and rock solid sounds like another build. Lol

Originally Posted By: ICU22-250Are BHW barrels cut or button? I'm thinking about a new barrel for one of my builds..

Button. Kind of hard to cut those polygons

Greg

Back