LION Question from a PM Michigan member

Yep same line we saw in ND... Fence cut, lions would never attack a horse. Ran into junk in the pasture, lion would never attack a horse. Tree branches, lion would never attack a horse. It went on and on, and in every case the farmer/rancher reported the same cuts multiple lacerations originating high on the rear end, raking down and back. In every case reported.

I don't know; I kept several head of horses, for several years, and I doctored a lot of cut up horses before figuring out dumb horses aren't worth keeping. Hung out with a bunch of other horse people, as horse people do, and saw a bunch more cut up horses. And, I don't recall ever seeing 5 - 6 different horses, in different pastures, cut by different things, all cut in the same fashion. But those 5 - 6 horses in that one small area, where that mountain lion didn't exist, were.

Quote:Modern wildlife management should be non-political and science based. In this instance that requires proof in the form of hard evidence not rumor, gossip and folk tales.

Hard evidence, is often easily overlooked, by well educated people, backing a cause.

Talking about horses . Go on the computer and look up Lapeer County horse killing in Michigan. Dnr says it was feral dogs pack not the coyotes swarming around this lady's farm. Happened not long ago. I just don't get it.

Too much evidence in that case GC. I hunted the area where the horses first started getting cut up, brother-in-law's nephew farmed down there. The family had farmed the land down there for 10 - 15 years before Rob acquired it. Knew several people in the area, and NO ONE would agree with the wire cut stories. When it started happening 15 miles away, across the river, farmer flat out told the press, it wasn't wire cut. Wasn't long after there were sightings in that area. Then after denying it a half dozen times, Game and Fish finally admitted there probably was a young male roaming in the area. 5 years later we had a limited season on them statewide.

Not much room for conspiracy theory there!! Evidence all points to cover up. Most Game and Fish Departments aren't going to admit to the introduction of Apex Predators in livestock country.

US Fish and Wildlife with liberal bunny huggers at the helm did, because liberals and bunny huggers just ain't real smart! And, they accomplished their mission, rubbed all our noses in it, then moved on to administering their bunny hugger organizations.

Michigan DNR is putting tracking collars on feral pigs now according to Michigan Sportsman forum members. this is really not called for. shoot these pigs now before taking over the counties. why track them? Unless the MDNR is going to plan hunting seasons and charge license fees for feral pigs?The state is out of money so this might help increase the treasury.

Pigs typically aren't regarded as wildlife according to most Game and Fish Departments, they are feral livestock. Because most Game and Fish Departments don't want to assume any implied liability for crop damages as a result of calling them wildlife.

And the reason many wildlife agencies don't consider wild/feral hogs "game animals" is because they want them eradicated as invasive non-native pest animals. If they are considered game animals there might be hunting seasons and perhaps limit restrictions regulating the harvest. Call them invasive non-native pest and you can shoot them on sight whenever without worry.

They certainly are a nuisance, destroy crops, hard on wildlife as well. Tear up a turkey nest in a heartbeat. Root up a lot of herbs and forbes other critters feed on, eat up a lot of feed period other game animals might eat if it were available.

Can't be good for much of anything, when's the last time you saw bunny huggers fussing about saving a pig??? They fuss over a coyote, but not a pig. They fuss over a chicken, but not a pig. They fuss over simming with manatees, but not killing a wild pig.

So you got to know to they're not much good for anything.

In Kommiefonia, Pigs are listed as Big Game, and the tags are now $22.17 each! Only $8 less than a Deer tag. Its crazy. I hope that your states don't follow suit.

Well yeah, but that's California, the land of fruits and nuts. Million dollar city auditor salaries, and other such ridiculous bull pucky.

The place where they take down hydroelectric dams to save a minnow, then complain about rolling brown outs. The place where they take down hydro-electric dams to save a minnow, then claim the city borne liberals who pushed removal of the dam, have priority rights to what little water is left over farmers who are trying to feed the morons.

The place where DOT suggests you tie your truck down, then put your net on over the top of your straps... ( Uhmmm... like what's supposed to hold the net on???) The place where DOT frequently says it's not legal to put a twist in a strap on a load, to prevent it vibrating and humming as you go down the road, and cutting holes in your nets/tarps. The place where they INSIST they need a street address, when you tell them you are delivering the load to the middle of an Agricultural Field, in the middle of nowhere, that there is no named road... Which was AFTER having told them there was NOTHING on the load that required inspection, but they insisted there was, when there really wasn't, and they had to have a street address in the middle of nowhere so it could be inspected.

In MI. not a big game animal But.......... to shoot a feral pig if on public land a valid hunt license required. Also...it better be a feral pig, the hunter better know when the pig escaped from the farm. Best be careful not shoot one with a ear tag either. In addition...... pig shooting details and parts of the pig is requested to be turned in to a mdnr biologist. Shooting hours apply or a hunter is violating. I'll tell you what, it's getting awful frustrating. Does Michigan want to get rid of these animals or what? It's almost as if "they" don't? I'm not sure anymore of what gun or ammo to carry anymore or get accused of hunting something I'm not.

Last edited:
Know what yur saying. I was OTR driver for a few years. It's worse now and won't get any better. Try crossing the Big Mac bridge. Ok back to the lions and pigs.

Rumor has it what I heard missouri seen you can make a buck off these hogs and are looking into making a season on these pain in the butt things. I dont know if thats true but I can believe... whatever it takes to make a buck for the government who cares about the dollar the farmers loose making up for the mess the pigs make..

yea, pay for the elimination. Might be the way but let southern half of michigan where most hogs are, use rifles instead of the shotguns. have to be able to use rifles. or let dogs run the hogs for a close shot with a shotgun, i don't know. i'm from the u.p. something has to be done quickly or these hogs are going to multiple fast. mdnr has to quit making things complicated and quit saying oh well lets spend $500,000 on track collars on these ferals.

I hear ya. The conservation spends money on some dumb crap.. things get over populated in an area they spend boo koos in moving trapping relocating.. give everyone a free tag and extend a season.

Shawn,
You aren't talking about Missouri. In Missouri there are no tags required for hogs, no season and no limits. MDC doesn't trap hogs to relocate them, here they are killed. They even do some helicopter gunning in the winter.

In our part of Missouri you damned well better shoot any hog you see.
They have just made it up our little mountain and I've been seeing tracks
here and there.

I'm surprised you haven't had hogs in your area long before now. They have been using the larger river corridors to move and expand their range. Aren't you very near a good size river?

Back