Just set my first traps ever

Cbrown6

Well I just got back from setting out my first traps ever. I only set two. I've seen several coyotes running through the fields and we have some snow on the ground so I followed some tracks to where they were going under some fencing. I set them in a hole set. I don't have any lure just yet but I had a couple dead mice so I'll see how that works out. Hopefully I can post some pics soon.

Last edited:
Still no luck with my sets yet. Today I actually got close enough to realize that the mice I had used as bait had been eaten. No tracks around or on the traps. I freshened up the dirt a bit and then I used some catfish stink bait. No one local has any urine or lures right now. I got the chicken liver/blood bait and some blood flavored 'gel' stuff to add to it. In the meantime I'm going to get some cheap steaks and let them start rotting a bit. How long do you keep a set in a specific location? I was thinking by Sunday if I haven't got anything yet I was going to move them.

Well today I had a bit of success. I caught two raccoons. Not what I was going after but after a week of nothing, it will do. So now I know the coons will go after catfish bait. Need to work on some other baits for the coyotes.

Two years ago I told two buddies to not trap and instead invest in some better guns and coyote hunting equipment. They each trapped for two winters, and spent a lot to do it, I think they got three coyotes total.

I took them out hunting under a full moon and we had three coyotes in one night. They sold their trapping crap.

For hole sets get a pound of sheeps wool. Then grab a little bit of wool and wrap your SMALL piece of bait in, it seems to help keep coons out. But coons will give you the most action and least headache. Make flat sets in a relatively open area near something that catches the eye. Like a single stick poking out of the ground, or a rock or clump of dirt then cover that little eye catcher full of coyote urine, be ready for deer to set off your traps doing this.

I tried trapping because I got to a slow start hunting coyotes but all the dang time I waisted checking traps and resetting them almost each day would have been much better spent learning to hunt better. I've got coyotes all over now because I hung up the traps and learned to use a hand call.

I don't mean to be a Debby Downer but it's advise I wish I had heard.

Keep in mind trapping can be somewhat profitable if you know how to bring them in. Coyotes can be kind of finnicky to your sets so I would say try to conceal them as best you can. Also, are you trapping for money or just to get dogs? There is easier money to be made trapping things like beaver, muskrat, coon, etc.

Back