Which Leupold for my first AR?

Swim Bait

Alright guys, it's been a while since I've posted. Been lookin' though
thumbup1.gif
. NOPE, I didn't do a search. LOL

So I'm picking up my first AR this Saturday. So pumped! I got a Colt CAR-A3 HBAR Elite rifle. It has a 24" barrel with a 1 in 9 twist and it's in 5.56. I've been using a .270 bolt action for years now and I have a Leupold 3-9x50 on it. I want to stick with Leupold, but have no idea what I should throw on it. I hunt mostly mountain areas. They're somewhat open, but a lot of the time, I'm looking down into canyons. Couple areas I hunt are brushy. What should I put on top of my first AR? Help me out. Also, I work at an outdoor shop, so I can pretty much get whichever Leupold I want. What do I need?

Thanks guys

thumbup.gif

Hiking a 24" hbar through the mountains sounds like a chore.

Not sure what your needs are but the vx3 1.75-6 is what I just put on top of my new AR. The 2.5-8 is also real nice, I'll probably put one in the 223 bolt gun I'm thinking of buying.

Originally Posted By: rpc55Set and forget or open turrets? Illuminated?

Haven't had a scope with open turrets, so would like to try that. Illuminated wouldn't hurt. A few guys have said Mark AR, so I'm looking at those. 1" scope rings for those right? Is the scope mount that comes with the rifle adequate? Picking up Saturday.
thumbup.gif

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have a 1.25 x 4 vxr patrol on my AR, nice scope! BUT crosshairs are a little heavy for long shots. Found out I was dragging the open turrets against my case while pulling the rifle out of the backseat of my truck. Also rolled them while walking into a set up location! Emailed Leupold to see if they were able to change these out for turrets that lock. After a few emails back and forth was asked to send a picture of my scope. Haven't heard back from them since! That was a month ago.

By being able to get any scope you want, I am not sure if you mean that price is not an object or that availability isn't.

For me, I would go with the Mark AR. It may be marketed towards the AR/223 crowd, however, unlike the M223 it can still be used with mil adjustments instead of just a preset range adjustment.

For me, exposed turrets are a must. So short of a Mark 4 and dropping a grand or more, Id go with a Mark AR. If you stay with the 3-9 you can get the illuminated firedot within the milldot reticle.

Id like more power range and a side parallax adjust, but I guess that is what the Mark 4 is for.

The Mark AR and the M223 seemed to get compared a lot. Price wise they run close to the same (prices that I have seen) and I keep getting from those who have used both more extensively than me that the Mark AR has better glass, and certainly a better turret system.

Jake

I buy scopes based on what I want to be able to see at what range I want to see it, not based on what gun I'm putting it upon (I buy/build guns based on what I want to be able to kill and what range I want to kill it too). Most of my shooting happens in low light, from 0-600yrds, and quite often at small targets. As such, my wife and I have found that the Leupold VX-3 LRT 4.5-14x50mm (30mm tube and Side Focus) with a custom shop mil-dot suits our hunting wants and needs. My wife is running one on her new AR.

My most recent AR would have the same scope on it, but I went with a 2.5-16x50mm Bushnell instead.

Last edited:
I had a Nikon M-223 3-12x42 BDC on my RRA PP. Did not like the turning turret problem with the Nikon, I now have had my Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 Mil-dot for a year and I recommend this scope to anyone. Nice clear glass. dials in every time, no problems. I have the Rock River scope mount on 2 of our Rock Rivers, and like this setup.

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelAnother vote for the Leupy Mark AR MOD 1.

Or....Cabelas is having a good deal on VX2 with the CDS if that fits a little better... Here.

What's the power on that one?

To all, how useful is the illuminated reticle? I've never owned a scope with one. I'm looking at the Mark AR in 3-9x40 which is offered in a illuminated reticle; and the 4-12x40 which isn't. I think I'd like the 4-12x40 more overall with mil dot. If it was offered in illuminated, it would be a no brainer.

Thanks guys. Ordering my scope this coming up week hopefully.

Back