6x45 ?s

Nw_bearcat

Working on building up a 6x45 for a low recoil, suppressed, close range (100-150yd max) deer rifle for my kid, and predator gun for me.

We have no expectations of making it a silent 300 blk, just looking to remove some of the blast when shooting out of a blind with the kids with the suppressor, so have no intentions of going subsonic.

While looking at the classifieds here, I see a barrel listed, and it mentions using modified pmags. I didn't want to derail that thread, but what mods are done to the mags to allow longer coal? That looks like will be one of our challenges, in using some of the upper limit weight bullets with heavier construction for the deer. Looking at some 85-95 grain bullets if we can make them fit.

Any other things we need to consider?

We have to use 5 round mags (or less) to hunt deer in Nebraska. I've found that C-products 5 round mags let me load to 2.280" (instead of 2.260" of the P-mags). I only go up to the 85gr SGK.

I love my 6x45 and am in the process of building a 12.5" SBR in that caliber for ease of handling with the suppressor attached (especially for my young ones).
I'll update as my parts come in, but it'll be awhile as we're also in the process of building a new house.
crazy.gif

Answering your question, modding the mag is done but cutting out the front so the tips of the bullets stick out. That allows seating the long pointed bullets like an 87 vmax and such out long enough that they don't invade powder space.

I typically use stainless mags like Pharmer said that allow an oal of 2.3" actually, c-products and ar-stoner both work. This will be plenty for bullets like the 85 gr sgk or partition, both of which should work great for deer.

This is a picture of a modified GI magazine.
I agree with the above. Use the 85 grain Sierra. Using a heavier bullet in the 6X45 is not going to gain you much.

I was less than satisfied with the 85 Grain Game Kings. They shot extremely well in my .243 but penciled through 2 different deer causing little to no damage. One was shot twice at 300 yards never recovered, and the other was at 75 yards and my brother-in-law had to finish it with his 7mm. After skinning we saw that I hit a little high right behind the shoulder. Small pin hole in with almost no tissue damage and small pin hole out. I had much better luck with the CoreLokts. The 85 GMK is probably great for predators but for deer, especially at the 6x45 velocities, a heavy interlock, accubond, or partition type bullet I believe would be a better choice. I even think a vmax would have done a better job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 204 AR
I typically use stainless mags like Pharmer said that allow an oal of 2.3" actually, c-products and ar-stoner both work. This will be plenty for bullets like the 85 gr sgk or partition, both of which should work great for deer.

I just went and looked at what I use and it's actually AR-Stoner mags now.
And my 85 gr loads are 2.290" (I was thinking about my 70 gr Nosler loads )...

I ran the 85g sierra, 80g speer, 85g ttsx, 95g Nosler HBT at 2.255" col in my AR15.
The above COL never had an issue in standard metal or plastic mags.
I would stick to the 80g - 85g bullets though as the 95 will be seated deep and compress your charge.
H335 is my go to powder with those bullets also & do the job to 400 yards, after that the energy drops very fast. My aR15 barrel was 22".
I now have a 6x45 I built on a Savage action & 22" bbl.

Back