Live Stream Texas Senate Now Voting on Open Carry Bill

As Great as Texas is to you Texans.. you need to get on board with those of us in NV. We still have open carry! Texas ain't everythning... But its close! J/K Clarence... good luck. I was always under the belief that Texas was open carry?

No, Grant, actually, I saw somewhere that Texas was somewhere around the middle in relation to the other states, in regard to firearms laws, which surprised me.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not too sure open carry is the best way to go. My biggest concern is that there may be some weapon retention issues that come back to bite us if it passes. I hope I'm wrong, as it looks pretty certain to do so.

Personally, I prefer the element of surprise remain in my court, anyway.

Regards,
hm

The Nevada Legiislature is currently voting on a a similar bill. Will it pass? Who knows? Even though there is open carry here, I rarely march to the grocery store with my 1911 on my hip although it is legal to do so. I am like you Clarence.. I am not sure that "Open carry" is the best. But IMO it beats running around unarmed, or risking a felony charge for carrying concealed without a proper permit.

They have open carry in Co. except in the Denver area. I do not see it much at all. I have seen it twice in a 50 mile radius of Pueblo in two years but I only go to town every 10 days to 2 weeks. We spend most of the day there in many different stores. The one I saw was a man in his late 60's with his mother well dressed carrying a full size 1911 but was looking at every one to see if they were looking at him. He would walk by the freezer section looking at his reflection. There is one guy that rides a bike around Pueblo with a 10" hog leg on his hip. I prefer concealed I like the doubt is he carrying or not.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357As Great as Texas is to you Texans.. you need to get on board with those of us in NV. We still have open carry! Texas ain't everythning... But its close! J/K Clarence... good luck. I was always under the belief that Texas was open carry?

How long have you lived in Nevada now? Anything has to be better than a life time in California.

Both Texas and Nevada got CC in 1995. All things considered since you're in to comparisons, Nevada could have done far more since then in terms of reciprocity between states to catch up with the national curve.

Unless things have changed fairly recently, you can come to Texas and carry concealed but I, and residents from a lot of other states, can't go to Nevada and carry.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/legal/reciprocity/nevadarecip.pdf

http://www.nvconcealedcarry.com/reciprocity.html#.VQ8q8OHaN5U

http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

There are a lot of red states in this closer look at the map also shown above near the bottom of the second link.

http://www.nvconcealedcarry.com/images/nv_reciprocity_2.jpg

In contrast, Texas has reciprocity with a large majority of other states, most reciprocal but even a few unilateral (like Nevada) where Texas but not the other state recognizes the right of the other states citizens to carry concealed while in the state..

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/Legal/Reciprocity/index.htm

Many of the antiquated laws in Texas came about during and as a result of forced reconstruction and many of them have held due to the large urban populations in Texas. But the larger liberal rocks are starting to chip in recent years.

I never lived an entire life In Ca. "As closely as you follow certain people in order to chastise their posts I figured that you would have known that?"
smile.gif
However I do know what it is like now. As I stated, I was surprised to see the TX was not already an open carry State. Much to My surprise it wasn't. I like it here.. I rarely open carry while shopping and such. However I do hope that NV. adopts the Constitutional Carry. Why should a guy open carrying get a fed offense just because his shirt/jacket fell down over his Gun and He didn't notice? I understand that by getting the Utah CCW license here that it opens up many more States in which to Concealed Carry. I wish you Guy's much luck.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357I never lived an entire life In Ca. "As closely as you follow certain people in order to chastise their posts I figured that you would have known that?"
smile.gif
However I do know what it is like now. As I stated, I was surprised to see the TX was not already an open carry State. Much to My surprise it wasn't. I like it here.. I rarely open carry while shopping and such. However I do hope that NV. adopts the Constitutional Carry. Why should a guy open carrying get a fed offense just because his shirt/jacket fell down over his Gun and He didn't notice? I understand that by getting the Utah CCW license here that it opens up many more States in which to Concealed Carry. I wish you Guy's much luck.

No chastizing involved. I was just pointing out for anyone who didn't know that you had nothing to do with the Nevada law that you were touting in your comparison. As opposed to some people who have worked hard to get you to where you are in our new state.

Chill. I was simply pointing out that ALL states need to do more.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357So then Winny... your contributions to TX law is where? I am sure that you were at the helm.

You sound like you're not having a good day.

I doubt you'd believe me if I told ya', so I'll just leave you to make up whatever you want to believe.

Again, chill. Its not like this is a Remington thread or anything like that where you have to feel special. Sheesh.

people opposed to OC sound to me just like the antis opposed to CC. All sorts of gloom & doom predictions, the sky will fall, good guys will be targeted by the bad guys, blood will run in the streets, worst thing EVER.

Only problem is a huge pile of states has long had OC & it seems to me that if those things were going to be true, we'd already have a long list of historical events racked up to point to as proof, but somehow we're lacking that.

Some gun owners who are ardent and outspoken pro-gun, pro-2nd amendment supporters can have reservations about OC, and with good reason. Incidents such as the following do not reflect well on those of us interested in the right to carry arms for self defense.

Quote:The one I saw was a man in his late 60's with his mother well dressed carrying a full size 1911 but was looking at every one to see if they were looking at him. He would walk by the freezer section looking at his reflection.

And then there's this photo I'm sure all have seen:

Which was largely responsible for pressuring a previously neutral, if not pro-CC national restaurant chain to cross over:

Full story and video @ link:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2014/05/chipotle-takes-guns-off-its-menu/

I personally have fought long and hard to preserve the 2nd amendment affirmation of our God given right to self defense, yet do have some reservations regarding OC.

First, and foremost is the concern I have that the few "hotdogs", for lack of a better term, who go overboard to assert their rights, will simply scare many less informed , non gun owning citizens who have so far been neutral regarding gun issues.

Secondly, I do hope that weapon retention training will be required, as this is one facet of safe gun handling not familiar to most CCW's. I'm not saying that there will be massive issues where those practicing OC are disarmed to the detriment of those around them, but it only takes one such incident to make the national news and cause a backlash for us all.

Lastly, I fail to see but one benefit (to me personally) of OC over CC and that is the fact that should unintentional display occur, I would not be subject to prosecution as is currently the case. That could have been resolved by simply amending the CC laws negating that provision of current (Texas) law.

Some might argue that OC makes their weapon more readily available should the need arise, I offer the fact that the element of surprise far outweighs speed in most such situations.
Perhaps that belief is influenced by the fact that I have never been one to practice "fast draw", as I have become quite fond of all my toes; they have been attached for close to 80 years and I'd like to keep them that way.
wink.gif
grin.gif

My concern is that OC could possibly have unintended consequences to the hard fought CCW advances made in recent years. I hope I am wrong.

Just sayin'.

Regards,
hm

hm sir, I understand everything you are saying, and you make reasonable points. The fact is quite a bit of history says that the things that give you pause just aren't that likely to be a problem. You see Texas is one of only 6 states, along with the district of colombia that do not allow open carry. The unintended consequences have just never materialized.

I know guys like those open carry Tarrant county guys make us all look bad with their antics, but you can't legislate based on the fringe, it's just not practical.

Me personally, I have little interest in open carry, I can't think of a situation where I would choose it over concealed, but it is our right, and should be returned to us. I hope this is a step towards constitutional carry, where all of our rights that have been usurped would be returned.

Rockin', I hope my concerns are unfounded. You certainly do make a good point that history has not proven them to be valid.

All I have to base these concerns on is the harm that the actions of a very small minority such as pointed out in my previous post has already done to our cause.

Guess my post was simply an attempt to make a benefit/cost analysis comparison; like I said, hope my concerns are proven invalid.

Regards,
hm

Yessir, as do I. It would sure be a lot easier if some of those fringe elements would just stay home. One of my Grandpa's favorite sayings was "It's better to be silent and have them think you an idiot, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt". A lot of those boys would have benefitted from his advice. Even in Texas stupidity is probably the most abused right, but I choose to believe a bunch of them just moved here...

Back