LION Question from a PM Michigan member

randall729

Is it feasible for 30 "lions" from S.D. end up in U.P. Michigan last few years and all 30 are confirmed males.? No confirmed females so therefore no "lions" are breeding in Michigan at this time.? Sightings are not considered for the count. Michigan DNR says so. I seem to think otherwise as many here do. Would like comments from PM members . Thank you.

Wondering whats so special about MI. for "lions" anyway? why wouldnt these 30 stop and make a home in lets say N.D., MN ., WI. or whatever state passing through? And why would 30 male lions leave their state and their "girlfriends" and not be chasing after another "girlfriend"? (lion comments please). Also this dnr REFUSES to listen to anyone reporting cougar sightings both in the upper or lower MI. Why not? What is the problem with listening to a concerned citizen or is this normal in all states?

Hard for them to stop when they're in that cage in the back of the Michigan DNR trucks. Some people buy into that migrated that far line of B_S_, but... There is no way, you will ever convince me that they aren't planting them. There is tooooooooooooooooo much evidence to the contrary.

I'm not a lion expert, however, I believe male lions are going to roam and roam until their circuit intersects with female(s). That's why male home ranges are typically larger than females and when there are no females, the circuit gets *very* large.

wasnt there confirmed trail camera footage in the northern lower just last summer/fall in the manistee national forest?

Originally Posted By: randall729 Why didn't they stay where the females are? Since no females in mi. then I guess they'll roam right out of here?

Don't count on it, after all those wandering males out of South Dakota were finally admitted to exist in North Dakota, (it took awhile before they admitted they were there, at least half a dozen cut up horses, several sightings, all with feeble attempts at denial by Game and Fish), wasn't but 8-10 years we had a viable breeding population, and they opened a limited season.

Of course somewhere on the board here is a story about one that got run over in New York state, as best I recall. DNA evidence supposedly proved he had migrated from South Dakota too, and in the course of his 1500+ mile journey, he'd left a hair sample on a fence in Wisconsin or Michigan or someplace with big sign that said, "DNA Sample for evidence, on my way to the Big Apple!" I mean seriously, some guys believed that line of B_S_, but what are the odds of a cat from the Black Hills of South Dakota roaming clear to New York state, and in passing through Wisconsin he just happened to leave a hair sample on a fence, and of all of the thousands of miles of fence in Wisconsin, a wildlife biologist with interest in big cats just happened to find that twist in the wire on that one little chunk of fence with the hair sample and say, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... That looks like mountain lion hair!! We should take that back to the lab, waste the tax payers money, and run a DNA sample on it to make sure, and see where it might have come from!"

[beeep], everybody knows ALL wandering mountain lions come from South Dakota, why bother testing it? Honest injun, it don't matter where you're at, if you live in a state where there are no mountain lions, and one shows up, you can bet your [beeep] it came from South Dakota! You could be in the middle of Siberia, lost in the Australian outback, in the penguin breeding grounds of the Antartic, wherever... if you see a mountain lion, it came from South Dakota! Not sure why there are so many dissatisfied Mountain Lions in South Dakota, but they sure seem to hate the place! Been migrating out of there for 20+ years now, can't believe there is any left there! And, I don't buy they've been over-populated that long down there, and there's still anything left for them to eat. As many as have supposedly migrated out over the years, you'd think there wouldn't be a deer, or an Elk, or anything else left alive anywhere in the state.

I am wondering why S.D or N.D buffs don't mosey on across MN., WI. then hang around MI. for a bit? The lions are. the saying is "grass is always greener on the other side". if hair was found and dna'd from a barb wire then it could have been reported by one(s) of the mi. saskquatch association to the dnr rather than a biologist stumbling upon it.

Oh them old buffs mosey around out there occasionally. Usually get shot because there isn't much you can do to stop them when they decide to roam. They'll hop a 40 - 45 inch fence like it's nothing. Awe inspiring, let me tell you! To see an animal of that size walk up to fence, stand there for a second, and just jump over a Bureau of Reclamation fence is an eye opener. Believe me!!

Unfortunately, they constitute a serious traffic hazard, so law enforcement usually takes them out before they get to the 4 lane highways. And, farmers tend to get grumpy about them destroying crops as well.

Game and Fish, DNR or what ever they are called are gov't agencies, run by bureaucrats. So there is going to be secrecy from the taxpaying citizens. There are things you don't NEED TO KNOW. Then there is the flat out lying too. Just remember, they know what is best for us, so obey and STFU, move along now.

Originally Posted By: randall729Is it feasible for 30 "lions" from S.D. end up in U.P. Michigan last few years and all 30 are confirmed males.? No confirmed females so therefore no "lions" are breeding in Michigan at this time.? Sightings are not considered for the count. Michigan DNR says so. I seem to think otherwise as many here do. Would like comments from PM members . Thank you.

There have been 30 Mountain Lions killed in Michigan the last few years?

Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki Game and Fish, DNR or what ever they are called are gov't agencies, run by bureaucrats. So there is going to be secrecy from the taxpaying citizens. There are things you don't NEED TO KNOW. Then there is the flat out lying too. Just remember, they know what is best for us, so obey and STFU, move along now.

Exactly, they tend to do things and expect people to ignore them, or forget, or B_S_ their way through it years later. All of this deal with the Mountain Lions in ND came as no surprise to me, back in the late 80s when I worked at the local garage, we had a guy from a neighboring town came in one day rattling about Game and Fish having stopped through in his home town to fill up with gas a few days before, and they had two mountain lions in the trailer. Said, they told him they were taking them up north to turn them loose in an area where they were encountering problems with the deer population.

At the time it sounded crazy, no Game and Fish Department would release predators to take out a deer population when they could sell more licenses, it would be cutting their own throats. However, several years later when the lions started showing up all over the state, those old rumors of them having stopped for gas with lions on board, were disspelled as simply that, old rumors. There wasn't but a few folks saw them, those folks were crazy, Game and Fish never did anything of that nature. The lions that were showing up all over, were young males that all migrated SEVERAL HUNDRED miles. Then suddenly those male lions were giving birth... it is all a matter of how much B_S_ you elect to accept as gospel. It's a liberal thing, kinda like Obama and everything he does, that he never said that.

Have to clarify. A couple have been killed illegally. Big fines, etc. for those guilty. Someone told me that I was wrong about my 30 "lions" in the U.P. What this someone ( Michigan Sportsman forum) says it is 30 "lion" CONFIRMED MDNR SIGHTINGS with required EVIDENCE and could be only a few actual "lion" in the U.P. Meaning: one lion could have been in many of the sighting reports. In Michigan, we have 4 cougar biologists in the entire state. One of these 4 have to justify a reason for a sighting and collect evidence, a photo or seeing a cougar isn't good enough to say this is a cougar in michigan. Have you ever seen a bobcat that weighs 100 pounds, is tan no spots, has a 3 foot long tail with a black tip? Me neither, but there wasn't evidence other than the report from a lady in benzie county, lower mich. So the lady was told she probably saw a bobcat not a cougar.

The trail camera footage was of a cougar feeding on a carcass in mackinac county up, mi. this footage is certified to be authentic of a cougar at this location by dnr biologists. keep in mind, in mich. no female mountain lions, only male mountain lions so therefore no mountain lion breeding to increase the population in michigan so the people have nothing to worry about if they are worried about this.

Modern wildlife management should be non-political and science based. In this instance that requires proof in the form of hard evidence not rumor, gossip and folk tales.

Last edited:
Back