New .243 AR problem now.....ugh!!

Chris Crawford

I figured out my bullet jamming into the barrel problem but now after I shoot a round the spent case does not completely eject and gets stuck between the closed bolt and the end of the chamber sticking out of the port....or the case is just laying on top of the bobsled backwards not even ejected.....oh the miseries and pains.
Thank you
Chris

have you shot factory ammo with no issues?

Do you have an adjustable gas block?

If handloads....Do you have a chronograph?

Is it a DPMS bolt? I had that problem and discovered that the extractor held the rim of the case tight enough that the ejector failed to throw the spent case with enough force to clear the port. Two suggestions... First, replace the ejector spring. Second, get an adjustable gas block.

Of course, it goes without saying that your ammunition needs to have enough beans to properly function in the rifle.

Last edited:
Yes it is a DPMS...I am single loading because of the Berger bullets won't cycle in the AR. When it does eject a round there is no telling where it might land.I think I think I have ruined around 20 Lapua cases trying to figure this out....yes I have a chronograph.
Thanks
Chris

I think you have a gas issue, make sure your gas block is lined up the way it needs to be. Also check the gas port size in the barrel make sure its the size it need to be. Not enough gas pressure will cause short cycles. also need to make sure the gas black is sealing the port and barrel properly or you'll loose gas at that point.

Last edited:
+1 jhatch. I had issues with my Armalite and come to find out, the gas block was very slightly misaligned. Once I squared it up, I never had an issue. I also think a faster powder will help. I primarily use IMR4064.

.243 really likes h414 that'll be a quicker burning powder for that case size. Try 45.5-47.0 grains. Mine bolt gun loved 47.4 h414 mag primer and 70gr nosler bt. I'd say 46.0gr and a bench primer would be a great load

Back