Thinking about taking the plunge with night vision,..

I would buy a nice used pvs-14 G3 before I bought that. I see them all the time for $1500-$2200 and a lot of times they have omni 5-7 tubes in them. Tough to beat and they would destroy that atn for performance not to mention versatility.

Originally Posted By: jefo65 This unit seems to get good reviews,..anybody have any information they could share, it would be greatly appreciated before I drop the $$

ATN Night Arrow 4

I bought one of those new about 3 years ago. It didn't take me long before I sold it and got a gen3 PVS14 and later a gen3 D760. All I can tell you is that if you buy it, you will likely be sorry that you spent your hard earned money on it and didn't go 1st class the first time around. Look for a D740 or a D760. It will be more money, but you will be glad you did IMO.

No experience with the scope you mentioned, but I personally would be leery of ATN, especially given the poor customer service reviews I have been reading lately. If you have been following the posts pertaining to the X-Sight, then you probably have an understanding of the company already.

I think you should be very careful about buying anything made by ATN. The X-sight marketing they did says a whole lot about them as a company. In addition, their customer service is not good. There are much better alternatives to consider out there. You might look at Photon or Digisight as options or even a PVS-4. They are all better choices in that price range.

Thanks for all the help so far,..sounds like ATN is something I need to stay away from. ALL my shots will be within the 75yd - 125yd range, we don't do a ton of night calling,..we usually just set up on cow or hog carcass's some of the local guys dump in the ole back 40. I'm thinking that opens up a few more options with the performance expectations I have. I've heard some pretty decent stuff about this scope and may look into it a bit more as well.

ARMASIGHT VAMPIRE 3X

If i was going to make that plunge, i like the PVS14's and the highest generation that you can get the better, then get an IR laser in an adjustable mount and zero it.

Then you can use the head set to scan, and when something shows up, all you have to do is kick on the laser and line it up.
I like the headset scanning since you scan most of the time and shoot very little. It would (IMO) be a pain to have to look down your rifle when you are trying to scan.. Or you can scan with a light and then kick on the night vision when you get eye's.

Good luck.

Check with Kevin at HighTechRedNeck. Has good deals on every thing along with some less expensive options. As he is in IL. he should know your situation well. Got a d740 from him and it is fabulous.

OP, we have some choices for you in the Gen 2 SHP Dept. not listed on TNVC but will be with the launch of our new commercial entity of TNVC www.nightgoggles.com coming very soon. It will specialize and cater to the high end hunter with some unique and exclusive product offerings.

Vic

I agree. I have a FLIR LS64, a PVS-14 and a D740 scope. If I had it to do over, I'd have gotten an IR/vis laser/illuminator, BEFORE the D740 scope. Easy to zero during the day with the vis laser, ready to go at night, and a lot less $$ than a dedicated scope, which you can always get later if needed.

Jefo65,

I think the Armasight Vampire might be a good choice. Due diligence from customer reviews looks pretty favorable. We are field testing a unit now and it looks like a really good value for the price point. We still need to test it for performance under poor ambient light conditions which will likely be this weekend. If it passes our tests you will see it up on our website next week. Price will be $795.00 which will include the external T-20 IR flashlight optioned in either 850nm or 940nm. It looks like a winner so far but we really need to do some additional testing. Check back on our website next week or feel free to make an appointment and make the 3 hour drive down here and check it out for yourself. Kevin

Sounds like I'm on the right track with the set up,....drive 3 hours? That's dirty pool man,..a fella drives 3 hours you know they're buying something! Thanks for the reply!!

Originally Posted By: jefo65 Sounds like I'm on the right track with the set up,....drive 3 hours? That's dirty pool man,..a fella drives 3 hours you know they're buying something! Thanks for the reply!!

I sure wouldn't say "dirty pool"-- the man is just being honest with you. Everyone has an opinion....or an angle. So, IMO, it is always better to get hands on and make the decision yourself. If you have the time, I agree it would be well spent.

Yes, with the money you saved by not buying that piece of junk ATN product, you could meet Kevin and actually see and look through some real honest to goodness great NV scopes that he has and learn something real, solid, and productive for your needs.

You've probably already wasted three hours of time thinking about that ATN POS to begin with.

I recently purchased a night vision scope. I bought a armasight nemesis gen2+ improved definition 6x dedicated scope put a torch pro on it and am more than pleased with the performance. I hunt with some friends with gen3 scopes and while there is a difference on pitch black dark nights as long as I'm running my ir I'm seeing everything they are but it's just not as clear but for me and my wallet it's working great.

IDN (I dont' know) but if someone selling these items would let me try them.. I would gladly take them up on that.

I would think that the money saved on buying something you haven't used and might not be happy with would be worth the drive.

Don't make the drive unless you have the money to buy it..

I think there are a lot of people that buy a smaller caller, then upgrade and upgrade again.. Same thing with scopes..
Buying once, especially something as expensive as NV, could be a serious money saver in the long run.

if I had a place to drive that was only 3 hours away that had everything in stock that I was interested in and I could look through those items to compare them I know that I would go in a heartbeat without question. As Tbone said, it could save you a lot of money by not buying the wrong equipment the first time around.

Kevin needs to open a store in Ohio!
smile.gif

Back