6.5 Grendal fans

Yoda-X

For those who have an AR platform in 6.5 Grendal I am looking for some info. I am debating having a platform built in this cartridge and want some feedback on the good, the bad, and the ugly about it. I plan to mainly hunt coyotes with it (no, don't save fur), hogs and possibly some smaller big game like deer and antelope.

Any input on barrel length, loads, etc., would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Yoda-XFor those who have an AR platform in 6.5 Grendal I am looking for some info. I am debating having a platform built in this cartridge and want some feedback on the good, the bad, and the ugly about it. I plan to mainly hunt coyotes with it (no, don't save fur), hogs and possibly some smaller big game like deer and antelope.

Any input on barrel length, loads, etc., would be appreciated.

X2 I may build one for my next I have heard that they have some pressure problems with the grendal bolt but would like to hear also.

Been using a 16" lightweight mutt build I got used off this forum. If I have to get down to one gun this will be it. Accurate, handy, easy to load for. Using factory Hornady loads with the 123 amax have killed several big bodied KS whitetails. Daughters call it 'their' gun as they have shot most of their deer with it.

The 95 vmax is good on coyotes, but you do need to watch oal when you hand load it in some chambers; coyotes don't go far with a body shot with that bullet, and it hasn't been terrible on hides yet though I wouldn't call it friendly either.

Have heard of bolt issues, but have not encountered any myself. If I build another I will probably go with another 2-4 inches of barrel, but not over 20".

I am looking at having a 20" McGowen barrel put on the beast. Lucas Firearms 3# drop in trigger, Luth-AR MBA-1 stock. Not sure on the BCG yet, but working on finding a good one. Will also use the Lucas FIrearms tactical charging handle. Optics....??? Still up in the air on that one.

I heard the Hornady brass has a rep of being "soft" and the primer pockets expanding too much...anyone heard about this issue, or has it been fixed? Would love to get some Lapua brass, but need a second mortgage to pay for it.

There is a lot to google on Grendel bolts ---
I bought my upper here on forum ---
It already had some kind of boron or something special bolt ---
I know from alexander and 6.5 Grendel forums that is the trick to Grendel in AR platform ---
Obaro-Spoiled Ya -- hahaha
95 vmax --30 gr BM -- DRT --not fur friendly if hard spot hit --
20" barrel for me threaded and suppressed ---
Enjoy --Enjoy
Thx

Originally Posted By: JOKERThere is a lot to google on Grendel bolts ---
I bought my upper here on forum ---
It already had some kind of boron or something special bolt ---
I know from alexander and 6.5 Grendel forums that is the trick to Grendel in AR platform ---
Obaro-Spoiled Ya -- hahaha
95 vmax --30 gr BM -- DRT --not fur friendly if hard spot hit --
20" barrel for me threaded and suppressed ---
Enjoy --Enjoy
Thx

Forgot to mention I am waiting on a Gemtech suppressor also.

Love mine building another in a week or two, Im getting the BHW barrels and they use the 7.62x39 bolt head and 556 carrier. check the first time at a 1000 post on here it shows what my gun can do. Other than bolt and barrel they are all 556 its a great upgrade especially when you compare it to 556 at 300 on steel youll hear and see the difference.

Originally Posted By: Yoda-XI am looking at having a 20" McGowen barrel put on the beast. Lucas Firearms 3# drop in trigger, Luth-AR MBA-1 stock. Not sure on the BCG yet, but working on finding a good one. Will also use the Lucas FIrearms tactical charging handle. Optics....??? Still up in the air on that one.

I heard the Hornady brass has a rep of being "soft" and the primer pockets expanding too much...anyone heard about this issue, or has it been fixed? Would love to get some Lapua brass, but need a second mortgage to pay for it.

By "BEAST" do you mean you are using WMD upper and lower in NIB-X?

Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: Yoda-XI am looking at having a 20" McGowen barrel put on the beast. Lucas Firearms 3# drop in trigger, Luth-AR MBA-1 stock. Not sure on the BCG yet, but working on finding a good one. Will also use the Lucas FIrearms tactical charging handle. Optics....??? Still up in the air on that one.

I used the word BEAST as a loving term....not about the cartridge or weight. I plan to kill a ton of critters with it.....making it a beast in terms of blood collecting, lol

Originally Posted By: Yoda-XOriginally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: Yoda-XI am looking at having a 20" McGowen barrel put on the beast. Lucas Firearms 3# drop in trigger, Luth-AR MBA-1 stock. Not sure on the BCG yet, but working on finding a good one. Will also use the Lucas FIrearms tactical charging handle. Optics....??? Still up in the air on that one.

I used the word BEAST as a loving term....not about the cartridge or weight. I plan to kill a ton of critters with it.....making it a beast in terms of blood collecting, lol

gotcha lol WMD makes an upper and lower receiver set that is coded and NIB-X and they call it the Beast. But with your building definitely will kill a bunch of critters.

I have one made by SD. Scott used a 20" barrel & nickle-boron BCG in it.

I bought hornady brass & used some hornady factory loads for my initial shooting. I haven't tried any other brass so can't compare.

I had an 6.5 Grendel Alexander Arms Overwatch 20" upper , Sold It.
( I'm still mad at myself for that too ).
I shot 123gr Hornady Reloads, Very Nice tight Groups, Smooth recoil.
Sure wished I had it back!

Last edited:
I want one. Surplus Ammo carries BHW 18" barrels in stock, with a free upper, for $245. Does anyone know if the barrels they stock are "1st's" or are they blems or something? It just seems pretty cheap.

Originally Posted By: Yoda-XI am looking at having a 20" McGowen barrel put on the beast. Lucas Firearms 3# drop in trigger, Luth-AR MBA-1 stock. Not sure on the BCG yet, but working on finding a good one. Will also use the Lucas FIrearms tactical charging handle. Optics....??? Still up in the air on that one.

The Hornady brass is fine. I'm working on 7 reloads on some of mine. Given the price of it I'd recommend buying up some factory a max or sst and using the brass from there. I've read that you can get higher velocity with it over lapua because the Lapua has a smaller flash hole. I've not tested this theory myself. Another nice thing with this round is you rarely have to trim it. Sierra 85 grain HP's hit coyotes like a truck and are neither fur friendly nor for those with a weak stomach.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI want one. Surplus Ammo carries BHW 18" barrels in stock, with a free upper, for $245. Does anyone know if the barrels they stock are "1st's" or are they blems or something? It just seems pretty cheap.

They are firsts. He just low balls everything. Of course the choices are limited.

Greg

Last edited:
building one myself. Have an ARP20" 1/8.5 twist barrel. Getting a maxim 7.39 type 1 bolt. It will have Troy Alpha Rail, Spikes upper receiver, adjustable gas block with rifle gas tube. Still contemplating muzzle brake and optics.

I bought one of the barrels from Surplus last summer, got it on sale and w/free billet upper tyd for $225. I built my father his first black gun and it shot sub moa @200 yds from the word go. I haven't had time to work up a hand load but all the BHW barrels I have had [beeep] great and clean easy.

On bolts!
I have had 7 grendels and have never sheared a lug , I believe more of that happened a couple years ago. I don't know for sure but I think a lot of that can be narrowed down to 2 things
- people trying to make their Grendel do .260 speeds ( guilty but I still never broke a bolt):)
- a certain manufacturers bolts ( will not trash manufacturer as I think bolt issue has been resolved)

I love this round and will always keep at least one! It will whip your friends .308 9 times out of 10

A buddy just built one using a AR stoner bolt and barrel. It has some problems. The bolt lugs are dragging on the barrel extension. When closing the bolt slowly you can watch once the bolt lugs clear the barrel extension the bolt raises up a little at the front. Iv heard good and bad about stoner quality.

I have had a Grendel sense Sabre Defense came out it's a 24" heavy target mod. and it been shot alot it is my most used gun i really like it. Now for the bolt it's the one that came in the gun so if i remember right that's been used for 12 years without failure. Right now i have a Aero precision set upper and lower in OD green a larue apeg heavy tex grip and a rat stock kit geissele trigger a satern 6.5 Grendel barrel heavy profile in 18" diamond head 15"vrs-t-556 handguard with a ares nib bolt carrier and it should run as good as my Sabre when i get it assembled. So as far as problem's with the Grendel i haven't had many, all that i've had is when i don't clean it and just run it.As far as mag's i've only run Sabre's some people say finding a mag. is hard at times

Back