6x6.8spc or ar-10 243 win?

schmidty

Hey guys I am looking for a caliber that is similar to a 243 win. I have seen some info on a 6x6.8spc that fits on an ar15. What are your thoughts on it? Or should I spend the money and do an ar10 243?

If you want lighter weight go with 6x6.8 in AR15 it is pretty impressive. If you don't mind heavier go with the AR10 in 243. You will like the performance of either on coyotes.

schmidty, the AR configuration for the 6.8 is great for varmints. The only drawback is that you cannot go over 115gr bullets. The magazine in the AR is too short to allow the 130gr bullets. The superb ammo in the Hornady 110 match Amax or Vmax plastic tip (26.00 per 20rd) is an excellent choice for many things. Watch close,, as Hornady has 2 choices and the same price but one is much more accurate then the other. But if you want to go lighter weight in the bullet selection the price goes up. But if you roll your own, the door widens. The 6.8 will recoil less and is lighter in weight. The 243 is going to be heavier and recoil more. You can hot rod a 243 a little more than the 6.8 but then I have not tried doing that in an AR configuration. The next thing you need to consider is hand-loading or not.
If you roll your own then you can go with the 6.8 and give yourself a few more choices than the factory selections. If you don't re-load and don't plan on starting then I suggest going with the 243. This cartridge has been around a long time. Plenty on the shelves and prices are better than the 6.8SPC ...The last thing to consider is do you want to wade through the muck when it comes to the choices of chambers and barrel twists. Do not misunderstand I have a 6.8 in AR and it is great. But, be sure and get the newer 6.8 SPC2 chamber and if you can find it get an 11 1/2 twist. Now I am sure this is going to start a few things with other members but so be it. It was not meant to!
This has been part of what hurt the 6.8 as far as being more popular. The first chambers were not quite correct, and therefore when ammo makers such as Silver State Amory, had too much pressure for the chambers that Remington originally came out with. The twist was not correct either causing the 6.8 not to be as accurate that it was actually capable of. Now, don't get me wrong,, I have an old rifle that is the original chamber and I still get 1" at 100 (5shots) and 4"-6" at 300 if I do my part. And if not tooo windy LOL It is an AR,, and so far they have not been quite as accurate as a bolt gun. But now that I have a few of them I won't part with them. Put a good scope on one and I even enjoy the Acog,,,,and you can't go wrong. A good scope helps any AR as it does with a bolt gun.

I do reload and am leaning towards the 6x6.8 just because of weight. It will mainly be used for coyotes and my wife will use it for deer on occasion. Just want her shooting a little bigger bullet that the 223!

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERIf you want lighter weight go with 6x6.8 in AR15 it is pretty impressive. If you don't mind heavier go with the AR10 in 243. You will like the performance of either on coyotes.

Enough said.
wink.gif

The 6x6.8 will get the job done on coyotes, as well as deer. Here is my son's Prong horn. One shot at 646 yards with a 90 grain Berger, loaded from a magazine.

Last edited:
Ritch is selling the Black Hole barrels plus building uppers. Being a sponsor here is a great place to showcase his products. On a side note Ritch was the guy that actually designed the 6X6.8 and did the load development.

Greg

Greg

why not a 243LBC?

Copied from another forum
"Would you be interested in some input from the guy who designed both reamers?

Both cartridges have merits of their own. The 243 LBC will handle the bigger bullets because of case length. But as you mentioned it can have feeding problems. I have to throw this in, once you get the kinks worked out it will feed flawlessly. The other problem with the LBC is head thrust. The LBC is limited to 52,000 PSI and should be held to that limit. Bolt failure is a common occurrence if fed a steady diet of over pressure loads, brass life will also suffer.
Now for the good points of the 243 LBC. The chamber is as tight as possible to increase accuracy. The case is inherently an accurate design, and it will handle the heavy bullets. The chamber from Black Hole has a VLD lead. Brass from Lapua is as good as it gets.

The 6X68 was done because I was looking for a cartridge to shoot the lighter weight bullets with good accuracy. It was intended from the start to be a hunting round. It was after the reamer was done we found out just how good of a cartridge it really is. It will handle all the 6mm bullets, but is at it's best with 90 grains and below. Case capacity is the same as the LBC but because it can take the higher pressures velocities increase with the 6X68. The 6.8 case feeds like a 5.56 so failure to feed problems are rare. The accuracy and velocity from this case was better than expected. As far as a hunting cartridge it is a hit. My son killed a Pronghorn this year at 646 yards with a 6X68."

Read more: http://blackholeweaponry.proboards.com/thread/1574/243-lbc-6x6-8#ixzz3U7mJ62cI

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone! I will be building a 6x6.8! If I have read correctly it seams all I need is Redding type s dies to step a 6.8 down to the 6mm correct?

You can go the Redding rout, or buy a set of standard dies from CH4D. Cost wise the CH4D is cheaper, and the brass is made in one pass through the die.

I bought the CH4D dies and I have two 6-6.8's both Blackhole Weaponry barrels, both shoot less than .5 inch groups with boring reliability. I am shooting-
Hornady Brass
Remington primer
Sierra 70 grain bullet
30.6 grains 8208 powder
3360 fps
Killed coyotes out to 340 yards.

Originally Posted By: R15 PredatorI bought the CH4D dies and I have two 6-6.8's both Blackhole Weaponry barrels, both shoot less than .5 inch groups with boring reliability. I am shooting-
Hornady Brass
Remington primer
Sierra 70 grain bullet
30.6 grains 8208 powder
3360 fps
Killed coyotes out to 340 yards.

Would be good to post your length of barrel also.

Back