Turkey Loads with a Patternmaster? What's your experience?

Drummer Boy75

Has anyone tested turkey loads using a Patternmaster Extended Range choke? I know these chokes are made for heavy, larger shot but didn't know how well they worked with Turkey loads. I was going to go do some testing before buying a different choke but if someone already did the homework, I'd certainly be thankful for the knowledge and save some ammo in the process. If they don't work well, I'm certainly open to suggestions for recommended chokes. I seem to read consistently good things about the Jelly Head chokes and was leaning towards that if the Patternmaster doesn't cut it. Thanks for your help!

Assuming you already have the patternmaster, test it out by shooting a few patterns at various ranges with a good rest. Every shotgun patterns differently so it would be worth knowing what that choke does so you have something to compare to if you decide to change chokes.

I don't have any experience with the long range tube but I do shoot the code black turkey & it patterns well for me. This was shot @ 40 yards with hevi-shot magnum blend.

Are you trying to find a good turkey choke? If so, Indian Creek, Kick's, Pure Gold, Jelly Head and a host of others will get you there easily enough. Patternmaster isn't one of the better patterning turkey chokes wrung out by the turkey fanatics.

Thanks for the input guys. I was going to do some testing but didn't know if the Patternmaster was even a contender. I wanted to narrow the choices based on the feedback I got here. Looks like a Jellyhead and a few boxes of shells are in order.....

I've had good luck with a Dead Coyote tube and Longbeard #6. That target that LARUE has looks pretty good to me too!

Originally Posted By: Drummer Boy75Thanks for the input guys. I was going to do some testing but didn't know if the Patternmaster was even a contender. I wanted to narrow the choices based on the feedback I got here. Looks like a Jellyhead and a few boxes of shells are in order.....

What shotgun and barrel length?

I'm shooting a Rhino in both my SBE 2 and Mossberg 835 with great results using Nitro's and Hevishot MagBlends. I've tried alot of choke/shell combinations and those were the best patterning for me. Every gun can be different however.

You know, it's seems like every time I turn around someone comes up with a new and more good-er choke for turkey hunting. I never used any of those "super chokes". I've been killing my gobbler's each year with nothing more than a standard full, and even my old 870 with the fixed "Mod" barrel. But last year I decided to give an "extra full turkey" choke a try, and you know what, those birds didn't die any faster than with a "Mod" choke.

The trick to a successful turkey hunt, is calling the birds in to at least 30 yds., though I usually like them within 20 yds.. I've killed a few though that were on the edge of 50 yds. using a "mod" choke and good 3" Nitro mags. with copper plated BB, which Rem. doesn't make any more. Now days I just use a good 3" with 1-3/4 oz. copper plated #4's.

Call em in nice and close, and forget about all those choke bells and whistles.

GS2

Originally Posted By: bryan hI have AWESOME luck with Indian Creek with Winchester Long Beard hands down the best for me.

[img:center]http://[/img]

this is a pic of the Indian Creek in a Benelli SBE ll at 40 yrds

bells and whistles or not I will help my chances on that longer shot if needed

Last edited:
If you are going to spend the money on a new choke, I highly recommend the Indian Creek. I have one in my Mossberg 500 and one in my Winchester X2 and they are NASTY with hevi shot #6. Like GS2 said, it is ideal to get them into 30 yds for the ideal shot plus it's part of the thrill...but the ol longbeards don't always play the game right. I had a bird hang up last year and strut around, then he lost interest due to I don't think he could see my decoys so when he passed through an opening at 43 yds he had a real bad day. I LOVE getting a bird up close and personal (shot my first turkey less than 10 yds) but I also love fried turkey so I'm gonna use every advantage I can. That being said, it may be a good idea to pattern what you have like GS2 said. You might be surprised with the results. Good luck!

Shelton

Back