New trapping

TNdude

Hello,i am 14 and would like to start trapping,the year round for here in TN is coyote,beaver,and groundhog,i have decided to start with coyote,i have $25 to start with,i have some knives and stuff that i can use in the beginning ,once i can get some money then i will get better stuff,but i might start out with a #1.75 foothold trap or two,what supplies will i need and is there any pointers for this from any experienced trappers? Thanks for any answers.

~TNdude

Go to fntpost.com They are good people and there is a link to this forum on their website. But anyway get a MB-550 for trapping coyotes. Fox Hollow makes good stakes. these stakes turn underground and will keep a coyote. Coyotes will pull up rebar stakes and they will chew in two a wood stake. You will need to dye and wax the traps. You will need a campfire, coleman stove, crawfish burner, fish fryer ( the burner only on these last 2) to heat the dye and to heat the wax. you will need an old pot to do this also. Get one from a resale shop. You will need bait (widowmaker is good) it comes in a jar. This is easier and cheaper than dead carcusses. Urine is a must for trap sets. Tools may include a Hammer 3-4Lb for driving stakes. set of pliers or wire cutters and a leather holder for carrying them on your belt. Sometimes you need an ax, hatchet or machete to cut roots out of you set. A decent hatchet or ax can be used in place of the hammer. If you walk then you will need some way to carry all this,,, many trappers use a basket with the shoulder straps. If you have a four wheeler and can use it then, get a box of some kind or a plastic milk crate. strap or tie it on the four wheeler. you need rubber gloves to keep your scent off the traps. and CAN,,, even use a separate pair for the baiting and urine placing. I like to wear rubber boots ( La Cross ) so as not to spread my scent.
Make sure you have a good chain for the trap. A sharp small shovel, works and is very helpful. Those little ones for gardening are great. they make some about 2 feet long and are only 4" wide. I like to use a pad for kneeling keeps me dry and helps not to spread scent. Sive, or some kind of screen for making fine dirt, to cover trap. Oh and you will need some wool or Dacron to place under the pad of the trap, so dirt will not prevent it from operating. A long teaspoon for getting bait is handy. A plastic jar for dispensing the urine is real handy. They make some good ones now, that won't spill the stuff so easy and it has a tube to help spread it around instead of dropping it in one spot. If you begin to use dead carcuss for bait then you will need some wire to lash it to stake so they don't run off with it. I would like to suggest that you make friend with a welder or blacksmith, as sometimes they will need to weld something for you or make a rod to push your stakes in with. You know you could clean up their shop and trade off work. This keeps cost down. I realize that a push rod for the stakes is only 5-6 bucks but then you got to ship it. Same with a Puller 20.00 for some of them. You will a need a puller or you will have to dig up the stake. That takes too long and is backbreaking for anyone. The welder can make this or you can, at school shop class. It would take a lot, and I would need to show photos, or a video to show you how to set up a set. But there has to be some info out there. keep looking on these forums and also there might be someone else that can explain this better. To me hands on is still the best. Remember that there is more than one way to do all of this. I hope this helped and I do hope you get started. Trapping is a lot of work but it is a lot of fun. I don't know about laws and 14 year olds having a gun to dispatch an animal caught in a trap, But a 22 or 17HMR works fine. I suggest using a rifle for you. Pistols are easier, but they frown on that nowadays with anyone under 21 years old. I don't know where you will be when you are trapping. Private land, public land. be sure of your surroundings before you bust a cap.

Thank you for the quick reply,most of this stuff i already have (Pliers,a pot/fire,wax,hammer, etc)I plan on hopefully making a website where people can sell their furs online,once i make it i will put the link here for anyone who wants to,thank you so much for the help. (I will be using a .22 because it is light and i will be hiking to the trapping spot every day,it is 3 miles
laugh.gif
or the people letting me trap on their land might even let me use one of their guns to dispose of the coyote.) If you have any good links on how to tan a hide or can give me pointers then it would be appreciated.
Again i say,thanks for the help.(Forgot to ask,how would this trap be if i could get a couple as a starter? I know you said the MB550 but i am just wondering. http://www.eders.com/3-duke-coil-spring-trap.html?&gclid=CK3WqsK-nsQCFQ4BaQodyYoAMg

~TNdude

Last edited:
TNdude The MB550 is a coil spring trap with 4 springs that is fast. it is not for foxes. But it comes in a 2 spring configuration also. the duke trap should work. If not beef up. Go to Trapperman.com for a lot more information. I use the dirt hole set often. I have not used paraffin wax.

Oh I just saw the use a log or stick to dispatch.... Hmmmmm I have seen dogs mad and ready to attack and bite. A Trapper has to use a lot of caution when moving in close to an angry animal. I think you are thinking about a couple things like putting holes in pelts and keeping costs down. I know I know. When I started this,,, a box of 50 federal 22 cost me 56 cents. I started driving at 12 years of age too. Now a days a 22 cost 30-75 cents each round. But try to come up with something to dispatch critters. Logs that lay around can rot and you won't know it till you go to hit that yote and when it crumbles you are in trouble. I like a pistol covered in a shirt or jacket like a small 22 I sometimes use a chest holster for some of my guns and still cover them with a shirt or jacket.
then when it is needed use it then hide it again. I use to have a ruger bearcat that cost me 65.00 new. bought it when I was 17 I could carry that thing just about anywhere. good luck

Tell you what kiddo. To get you off the ground, I'll send you a Bridger 1.65 2 coil. Perfect for fox. I only use number 3's. Send me a shipping address and off it goes.

Back