illuminated reticle scope

I run a vortex 3-9 with the v Brite reticle on my night rifle it also has the center dot that is the only illuminated part of the reticle. Works very well and is a good balance of quality and affordability.

I have a Mueller 3x10 Sport Dot (only the dot illuminates). I love it. My son has the same in a 3x9. Both have been great scopes.
He even used his on a CZ 375 H&H and it held zero just fine. For the money, I would get another Mueller.

Recently I saw (at a local gun shop) a Vortex Crossfire V-Bright 6x18 with A/O that has a center illuminated dot. It is a nice looking scope
and the glass appeared very clear and bright, but it is about $100 higher than the Mueller.

andrews is correct about the weaver scopes. I've purchased several of them from natchez shooter supply and they are a smoking deal. The classic extreme 2.5-10x50 30 mil tube parallax adj. ill. reticle in german #4 is a winner for $300.

FWIW, my take on illuminated reticles for use at night is that they are only useful if 1.) they adjust downward In briteness until they are barely visible and 2.) they are in scopes with exceptional glass.

An illuminated reticle is no help if it can't be adjusted so that it doesn't produce glare or if it is bright enough that it interferes with your view through the scope, and seeing the illuminated portion of the reticle is pointless if you can't see the target well enough to make the shot in the dark.

In daytime, a bright dot or X is very fast on the target, and that is true even with mediocre glass.

JPK

Vortex crossfire ii. Only the half moa center dot illuminates keeping low light and night hunting clear and crisp. My buddy got one for his 22hornet after seeing how clear my viper pst 2.5-10x32 ffp was. I've cheaped out on scopes before and its a major waste of money please don't do it

I've owned the BSA, B&L, Mueller, Burris, Vortex, Leupold and Weavers. Best budget scope (and possibly best of all of them) is the Crossfire II with V-brite. On the high end, I'll take the Weaver Classic Extreme over the Leupold VX-R, thank you.

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEDave (6mm)
Nice cat!!!!

Thanks Baystate. The cat was a Tom and weighed 27 pounds. He is my second largest to date, with the largest one going 31 pounds.

Back