Sniper Hog Light - IR module

NoName1

Last week I got an email from Sniper Hog Lights that was notification of some product updates. One that got my attention was the IR led module. Since I still have two 30LRs and a 50LR head from my pre-night vision days, figured might as well try the module since I do currently need another IR for a second setup. I ordered the module Friday morning at 8:11 am and received another email at 9:35 that it shipped...holy crap that was fast! I didn't have to wait long, as it showed up in my mailbox yesterday.

My comparison was on a gen3 D730, no visible moon but clear sky and bright starlight. I didn't have a lot of time so didn't mess around trying to do the whole cell phone pics of the image deal. I ran my current 1 yr old Torch Pro (805nm)on the D730's pic rail and the SHL (850 nm)on the handguard rail on the other side so it was as close to a side by side look as I could get. I have no measuring equipment or anything scientific, just the naked eye setup to simulate one of my hunting scenarios.

I dialed the head down on both the SHL and Torch so I could see the beam from both of them side by side in the scope, both focused on the same object at the same distance (+/- 75 yards). First I ran the SHL module with the 30LR head, keeping in mind the SHL is ran by their eliminator switch that has both hi and low. On low the 30 head appeared to be 1/2 the brightness of the Torch. On high, it appeared to be a pretty close match on brightness and intensity. Then I switched out the 30 and put on the 50LR head. On low it was a pretty close match to the Torch, but on high the SHL appeared to be about 1.5-1.75 times brighter than the Torch. The same appeared true with the 50LR on high at a longer distance about 300 yards as well, noticeably brighter. One of my partners has a 66LR head that I will try when he gets back in town in a few weeks. I am also going to order one of the dimmable switches that were just released and can see this thing being a very viable contender in being part of my gear. I also like the SHL windage/elevation mount that I still use, it lets me focus the beam exactly where I want it versus a fixed mount like the VTAC. This is especially helpful when dialing down the beam focus pretty tight, I can center the beam right on or above the crosshair. I had to mill down the housing on the Torch a little bit for it fit in the that mount, but it has been working great.

This is in no way, shape or form any attempt whatsoever to downplay the venerable Torch. I love the one I am currently running and also have one on the way that was intended to be on my second setup, which was also shipped within 6 hours of placing the order. This is just a knuckle dragger's home report from gear and parts that I happen to have on hand and with the IR led module being new to the market this may answer questions for some folks.

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to your trial with the SH66 head. I'm in the process now of getting the switch and IR module.

Back