.17 Remington OK for coyotes?

Mykal

I've always wanted a .17 Rem and the new Remington 700 LV-SF looks very good to me. From what I've read the .17 might be a tad light for coyotes, but then some yote hunters swear by them. What's your thoughts? --Mykal

If you're serious about using a 17 Rem for coyotes, you might browse a little bit and then try your question over at The Coyote Gods forum.

- BCB

I have had a 17 rem for 15 years. They are a great coyote gun if you are about 200yds or so. When it is farther, the coyotes seem to run off a little ways before the die. I have never lost a coyote with the 17rem.

Hmmmm, I just checked that site. Here's a pic for that host, of a coyote I shot with #4 Buck. A long ways out, to boot. Note external bleeding on his chest...Who would've thought. I'd say they can/will & do bleed "externally" from Buckshot, eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

256961.jpg

Last edited:
I've used one for three years & love it. I reload as factory loads are pretty expensive. I have only lost one coyote with it, that one I hit it in the shoulder. Most drop in their tracks, a couple gutshot (running shots) ones made it about 200yds.
It's a 21inch TC Contender carbine. A nice light calling gun 4 1/2 lbs with scope. They shoot great, minimal blast for a centerfire, no recoil even with a light gun.
The coyote gun of my dreams would be a Bushmaster Carbon 15 in a 17Rem. for those quick shots at multiple dogs. My son has the Carbon 15 in .223.

--Mark--

The .17 Remington does it's job when you do yours. Know it's limitations, use at least a 25 grain bullet, stay off the shoulder bone, keep shots to about 200 yards or less and it will kill as good as anything else. It's not the best all around coyote gun but it has it's place. I'm keeping mine.

Mykal, I have really enjoyed shooting 17's for coyotes over the last 4 years. In fact, I simply love the caliber. For most calling situations, one cannot find a caliber that is easier on fur. I am saving my dimes to buy an LVSF too, I just wish Remmy would put a hinge plate on that gun...

I've only shot two coyotes with the .17 Rem out of a Remington 700, both coytoes have dropped dead in their tracks. I shoot a 25 grain HP with 26 grains of Hogdons H380. I've also had a head shot on a fox. Pinhole entrance and no exit in all 3 shots. So far the caliber hasn't let me down.

Nick

I love the cartridge! You must remember, you can hit a coyote with an '06 and not drop him in his tracks if you don't do your part!

I would ask that you consider a CZ in 17 Remington as I hate Remingtons! (They screwed me on a Custom Shop Model Seven) I just shot my CZ today with factory Remington and put two in the same hole and the third about a bullet widths away! That's .34" center to center at 100 YDS!!!!

I LOVE MY CZ!!!!

Hoorahh-- go get 'em fellow Mainiac. I've shot a barrel out on 1 Model 7, and now have no less than 4 more .17's. My spot and stalk fur rig is a .17 Mach IV XP-100 pistol, and it's just sweet. Go with the heavier bullets to increase energy downrange on coyotes.

Someone mentioned Coyote Gods Forum.
Be careful over there. Read READ all the introductory stuff first.

I have nothing against them, but you must understand the owner's objective first.

Mykal-- Like most other rifles, you must be cognizent of shot placement with the .17 Remington. I have used this caliber (along with others) for coyotes for about 20 years. Early on I was using the Remington 25 gr. factory loads. These bullets didn't expand much; rather, they acted much like FMJ bullets and seemed to pass right through the coyotes. This resulted in dead coyotes, but man was there lots of tracking.

I set the .17 Remington aside and used my .243 and 22-250 for about 10 years. With the advent of some heavier custom made .172 caliber bullets, I started using the 30 gr. Starke Red Prairie Varmint bullet in my .17 Remington and had extremely good success with that heavier bullet.

Recently, April 2004, I purchased a Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger. That rifle was my coyote gun last season and will probably be my go-to rifle for coyotes this season as well. I use the 35 gr. FB HP Berger bullet for coyote medicine. I still carry the .17 Remington in the vehicle and if I need a backup coyote rifle, I will definitely trot out the .17 Remington and have the utmost confidence that it will do the job on coyotes!!!

The .17 Remington with the heavier bullet has plenty of range and killing power on out to 300 yards. If you and your rifle are up to it, you can make kills beyond that mark as well. Bullets like the 30 gr. Kindler Gold and the 30.8 gr. Hammett have very high BCs and are every bit as flat and resistent to wind deflection as most of the .224 caliber rifles. The big plus in my book, is the ability to watch the bullet hit your intended target when you use the .17 Remington and now I get the same experience with the .204 Ruger.

Quote:
The big plus in my book, is the ability to watch the bullet hit your intended target when you use the .17 Remington and now I get the same experience with the .204 Ruger.

a BIG plus? In my humble opinion, it's one of the GREATEST pluses. Of utmost importance in my book is to know for SURE if you made the shot. Seeing the impact point goes a long way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Mykal:

The responses you've received should let you know that the 17 Remington definitely will kill coyotes.

Just to echo what a couple of others have said, use a good heavy (25 grains or more) bullet, place your shots well, and you should have no problems.

Also, the folks at The Coyote Gods might seem menacing to anyone who doesn't believe a 17 caliber will kill coyotes, but there is a lot of good experience there to learn from if you want to get involved in the 17's. Blaine Eddy who posts there frequently is truly a walking encyclopedia of small caliber information and real-life experience. - BCB

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I am really attracted to this caliber as I like the idea of shot placement over the kill flexibility of a larger bullet. Plus, reloading for this caliber seems very exciting. I plan to get that Remington LV-VS very, very soon in .17(even though like prdtrgttr noted, I would have prefered a hinged floor plate as well). I haven't checked out Coyote Gods yet but am going over their right now. . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif --Mykal

Back