Starting a pup on a scent drag

Lots of good info on some of the blood tracking & working dog sites , here are a few tips to save you some time in training and from mistakes like confusing the dog on what you want.

I would not use a commercial gland lure as it may be mixed with preservatives that the dog may key on if used all the time in training and not find in the wild. Fresh gland that you remove would be fine, just use it with the same hide and feet, the above musk may be ok as well

Use a untanned coyote hide and coyote feet and glands from the same coyote and even blood from the same coyote Don't Mix and match feet and hides. Blood has no identifying individual scent till it drips from the skin, so any fresh blood will work if you let it drip from a hide first, I use hog blood
If you’re doing recovery work after a shot or tracking a trap drag you want your dog to distinguish one coyote from another. Another reason for using coyote feet they have a scent gland in the feet that is unique to each individual when you put your dog on a track you want it to track that coyote not any coyote scent it comes across.

You could hose clamp a coyote foot to a pole and add a chunk of hide to and stab out a track, at every stab you will leave gland scent, dander, and hair on the track for the dog to follow I have thought of using crutches, and a coyote foot will last a long time in the freezer , just thaw it out before laying a track and refreez when done

Don’t know how old your dog is but regardless some reward should be provided at the end of the track and find, like playing tug with the hide, lots of LEO drug and tracking dogs get to play with a ball, most blood and game recovery dogs get a choice cut of the game or a chunk of liver.

Good luck and have fun, I know I have in teaching mine to track instead of just winding downed game

Last edited:
Back