.257 Weatherby magnum distances & scope

coolbrze

What's the effective range of a .257 Weatherby mag (assuming the shooter does his part) for antelope & whitetail? 500-600 yds.? What's a good scope to be able to see & shoot accurately out this far?

The .257 Weatherby mag will easily take deer sized game to 600 yards. To be able to hit, reasonably well at that distance, would require a scope with turrets, and the knowledge and experience to run them. A good 3x9 would work, but most would go bigger. The biggest problem with the non-reloading shooter with a Weatherby, is cost of factory ammo, $60 a box. Shooting at a live animal at that range, is a growing trend, that I have mixed feelings about, but that's another can of worms.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89If you don't reload, I have quite a few boxes of wby ammo I'd sell at a very reduced price.

Got any 240 wby mag?

I had a 257 Weatherby topped with a 4x16 Nikon Monarch that was certainly capable of shooting a good long ways with wonderful accuracy. Such was proven by a buddy of mine who took it hunting and refused to give it back! I haggled a kings ransom for the rifle, but I still miss it once in a while.

The cartridge and a good scope will shoot as far or further than good taste allow.

I shoot a Mark V Ultralight in 257WTBY my absolute favorite gun. I topped it originally with a 4.5X14 leupold before I discovered Vortex. Now it wears a 6.5X20 Vortex Viper. Shot a nice antelope 2 falls ago in Montana at 680 yds DRT. Killed lots of whitetails and mulies with it. I shoot reloads with 100gr ballistic tips and love them. I would honestly load up some Barnes and go after elk without thinking to hard about it.

My last goat was a smidge over 400 with my 25-06. I *think* that's my longest with that caliber, less than 500 regardless. That was with a middle of the road load and the bullet was nowhere to be found after destroying both shoulder joints. I believe the wby has a bit more steam behind it.

Back