Match Grade .22LR Rifle

TXCOONDOG

My gun club is starting up some .22lr matches for youth and experienced shooters.

Only factory bolt action rifles are allowed (no customs) so I need some recommendations for accuracy and reliability.

When they say "factory bolt action 22lr's," I'll assume that they're NOT talking about Winchester 52's, Vostok Ural's, Anschutz, or EAA Ural 5.1's? If the Winchester 52 is legal, then I'd see no other choice anywhere near as good. I've owned 3 Smallbore Competition rifles, and if they're legal and you were the only one shooting one, even if you're a moderate shooter, you'd run the show at that match.

If those target rifles mentioned above are NOT legal, then the ONLY choices in my book are the CZ 452 and 455.

I've owned an EAA Ural 5.1 and two Win 52's as target rifles, plus multiples of each in Savage, Marlin, CZ, and Ruger bolt action rimfires for hunting, and I'll comment that there's a big gap in accuracy between the target class and the standard class, and a sizeable gap in "off shelf accuracy" from the CZ's to the others. I have not owned but have handled a Ruger American Rimfire, but I have heard that it's quite accurate thus far, but I haven't seen it be significantly more accurate than the Savages or Marlins, or the Ruger 77/22's (just uglier).

Last edited:

Rifle rule definition:

Any factory rimfire 22 long rifle bolt action rifle is acceptable. Aftermarket triggers, stocks and barrels as well as any type of optics are acceptable. Rifles with aftermarket barrels are not acceptable. Custom benchrest rifles are not acceptable. A benchrest rifle is defined as a rifle with a custom action that is not normally sold by the manufacturer as a complete rifle. It is a single shot rifle with no provision for a magazine.

Aftermarket triggers, stocks and barrels as well as any type of optics are acceptable. Rifles with aftermarket barrels are not acceptable....Sounds like conflicting rules right there.

That's what I was thinking...

Anyways, I know where there is a good amount of the federal match 22lr ammo and from what I understand this stuff ain't easy to find these days.

Idk, haven't owned a 22lr for 14'ish years.

Shoot me a pm if you wish to know where

Originally Posted By: Blake PulsipherAftermarket triggers, stocks and barrels as well as any type of optics are acceptable. Rifles with aftermarket barrels are not acceptable....Sounds like conflicting rules right there.

Many members and I agree and we have asked for clarification. This is just a local club for members and their guests so the rule book is a living document subject to change for the betterment of the members.

There will be different courses and levels off the bench:

5-8 year old youth will be 25-50 yards for target such as battle ship (best 10 nickle size dots hits out of 10 shots).

9-12 year old youth 25- 50yard target (accuracy) and some may be varmint targets.

13-17 year old youth 75-100 yard (not positive on this one) target and may be varmint targets.

18 and up will vary with target accuracy out to 150 yards and heard something about possibly match tip shooting for advance shooters.

Later there will be a two gun 22lr course for rifle and pistol shooting.

Perhaps a Savage Mark II 22 should be considered. Many versions of it made, so there is a wide price range for them. Decently accurate rifle.

There is a group out of Utah that shoots 22lr matches and posts videos on YouTube. Their channel is called Marksmen Challenge. There is a wealth of information on there. You see a lot of cz 455 tacticools and 455 precision trainers as well as a good amount of savages. If it were me I'd pry buy a 455 tacticool and put a dip 20 moa rail and a swfa fixed 16 power optic. It seems the general consensus is you need to have an optic that focuses down to 25 yards.

I have a Savage MKII FV that will shoot sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards consistantly and it costs $176 from Buds gunshop. It make ragged holes at 50 and under, and it does all this with Remington thunberbolts and Remington 555 bulk ammo. I don't know how you could get much better results even spending money on the ultra premium brands mentioned above.

Back