Ruger Elite 452 Trigger Report

jcs271

I have been in real need of an upgrade for my mil-spec trigger. There are many options out there but most people seem to get the Rock River Match trigger ($90-100) or the Timney ($200-250). While I am not a Ruger "fanboy" I do have a lot of their guns and have always found them to be a lot of bang for the buck. I have been looking at their new Elite 452 trigger pack with a 2 stage trigger,a ruger grip and safety. I found them online for $107 and ordered one. It arrived today so several of my friends brought their rifles for comparison and we installed the Ruger set. The Ruger comes installed in a plastic housing so that you can test it while in the store. Mine felt good with just a little creep after taking up the first stage. For reasons unknown to me, after installation in my rifle that creep was gone! All present were amazed at just how well the trigger worked. It was much crisper than the two Rock River setups and it broke just as nicely as the 3lb Timney single stage which cost over twice as much. I was thrilled with it and my buddies were all impressed. We also installed the Ruger safety which has a slightly larger lever than milspec and worked much more smoothly than my original. The first stage was 1 lb 5 oz and the second stage was 3 lb 6oz on average with a digital scale. This trigger FAR exceeds my expectations and I am ordering another for my son next week. I think this product is a great buy and will definately be giving the "big names" a run for their money as word gets out.

Light, compact and now ready to rock!

I'll admit, I'm a Ruger revolver "fanboy," and since a Ruger M77 MkII was my first deer rifle, I have a soft spot in my heart for their bolt guns, so I suppose I WANT to be a fan of all things Ruger. I keep looking for excuses - as an AR-15 and 1911 "fanboy" - to buy an SR1911 and a SR556, but I just can't quite get myself there.

Ever since I saw this trigger come out, I've been very tempted to try one out. I generally use Rock River 2 stage Varmint Match or Bushmaster 2 Stage national match triggers for hunting AR's, and Geiselle Match 2 stage triggers for anything that will live on the bench, so it's hard to break out of my shell.

After reading this, it's definitely a nudge in the right direction - if I find one on a shelf somewhere soon, or have room on a parts order from somewhere selling the Ruger triggers, I'm gonna give them a try in one of my rifles!

Back