Jetman and cast and blast too.

jetman

Couple of weeks ago we tried putting in the duck boat to call coyotes on the river. It was SO cold ('bout -15 if I remember ) the grease in the out drive would not let the motor turn fast enough to start.
We took the boat home ,parked it and went in the truck. The boat was not touched, Today I went out and touched it off in a half a turn, runs fine.
In the Morn we will be back in the dark on the water trying to dodge what's left of the ice and calling coyotes.

101_0780_zpsri8ufktx.jpg

The temp was a LOT warmer this try, all most above freezing!!!
31* calm actually quite nice, when we pushed off.
We waited for it to get light as we very seldom go on this part of the river. One time we did with the big boat and ended up working 4 hours digging our selves out of a BAD situation.
What we didn't remember was as many houses along side the river, We have to be at a minimum of a 1/4 mile away from an inhabited building to legally shoot. Fish you can fish right at there front doorstep. First spot Looked good ,set up looking up a drainage in to a nice pasture.

101_0783_zps4ppuyzif.jpg

Called for the normal 20 minutes with out any movement . I swiggled around in the boat to sit up and looked across the river to see two coyotes trying to figure out what the heck was killing a baby fox. I got the scope on one and taking aim, as I did I could see a car on the interstate go by, Humm probably should not take a shot, bummer.

101_0779_zpsuysfscqj.jpg

101_0778_zpswdubaakb.jpg

Couple of other dry sets and we find this tree in the river and from it we could watch BOTH sides of the river. And old homestead on one side and heave brush and cotton woods on the other, both had clear areas near the river that we could see a coyote.
Hit the call and a coyote stood up on my boys side must have been snoozing under the porch on the old fallen house. The 17 barked and the coyote laid back down HARD.

101_0786_zpsfonqhu4q.jpg

Cool one down...
This was also marked on the GPS it will make a perfect tie up with a hundred goose decoys for goosing this fall. the Numbers of geese and ducks, swan and even snow geese was very impressive even for this old goose guy.

Up the river we go past the "Sand bar" that caused us the problem in the big boat. As we picked our way through we put up a marker on the bank on both sides in the event we want to come back with the Jet we could avoid it.
We came to another perfect set and pushed the boat in to some cattails and started the call I was looking off the front ,south and the boy was pointing North out the back.
'Bout 12 minutes in a brown smudge moving fast in the brush. He busted out on to the sand with vengeance on his mind. Must have lost his mate to a fight and was not going to let it happen again I guess . Looked like a charging lion in my scope. I woofed to try to get him to stop no luck. the boy was watching and saw I could not stop him , he quickly hit a challenge aggressive howl on the shockwave. That stopped him, Bang flop number two.

101_0785_zps0d6jzddk.jpg

You can see I hit quite low, I had the stock off the day before and it must be off a titch, going to have to do a little touch up on paper.

It was noon and 35 miles up better turn around if we wanted to fish any of the spots we saw on the way up.

Looking for walleye.
No luck just crappie trout. EVERY spot yielded trout YUK what a way to spoil a perfectly fine fishing trip.

101_0791_zps6ejr2pea.jpg

101_0790_zpsa6gu7ar8.jpg

The last spot we fished we had a small jet boat come almost to us and they turned around, Our boat only runs around 10 mph so the had to have a 20 minute run on us.
We get to the ramp and there still there strapping down the boat. We land, the boy get the Toyota and is waiting as they decide the ramp is a good place to grease the lower unit and wheels, WHAT??
I'm holding the boat and the boys waiting in the truck and one guy comes down and wants to talk... It was raining a bit and was looking like it could dump any second. He asked "get anything" I quickly said NO. Then he said " think we will miss the rain"
My opening I said yes if we ever get on the ramp!
He spun around on his heals and got in to the truck all in a huff.
GOOD
We loaded pulled along side covered the boat and left he was still dicking around "IN THE RAIN"
People!
We did find out we can go over 70 miles and still have 3 gallons of gas left, good to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun day; too bad it had to end on such an unpleasant note. Always amazes me how long some folks can take to put in or take out a boat and their total disregard for others waiting their turn.

Regards,
hm

The boat ramp is often a good place to learn about a man's character...on a windy day you can also learn about his vocabulary...

Originally Posted By: RockinUThe boat ramp is often a good place to learn about a man's character...on a windy day you can also learn about his vocabulary...

....and the vocabulary of those "patiently" waiting in line for their turn.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Sounds like a fun, busy trip. Its probaly a good thing you guys don't have the spring snow goose season-could have been a little much if you threw them in the mix.

First off congrats on getting some fur down. Second if crappy trout are the worst part of a fishing trip, that equals a pretty darn good day! Lastly I actually thought of you yesterday evening as I was calling above the Mighty Mo in some breaks country. It is a prime location where I've had great success. However on my side of the river nobody wanted to play. I didn't see or hear any coyotes, but the other side of the river I had them going nuts. That is about the time I thought of you...as in...I wish I had Jetman and his boat here right now. We'd kill those buggers!

Dad always said, "Wanna find an IDIOT? Look at a boat ramp, they are thick there for some reason!"

Nice fish too! I love catching trout!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: batman1262Dad always said, "Wanna find an IDIOT? Look at a boat ramp, they are thick there for some reason!"

Nice fish too! I love catching trout!

gratz on the kills and the trout.

and yea i've seen a few gems at the boat ramp. probably the best - busy day out on lake mecosta, small ramp at capacity with a line waiting to get in/out of the lake.

this poor guy was on his 4th or 5th attempt to back the trailer under the boat to get out while his wife held the lines. Finally after about 15-20 mins of it, she loops the rope over the post on the ramp dock, walks up to the truck, has a few words through the window that i couldnt hear out on the water 50 yds away and he gets out of the drivers seat and comes back down the dock to do the ropes. she pulls forward, lines up the trailer and nails it on the first go. Boat was out of the water in probably 90 seconds. lol. Poor guy probably felt about 2 feet tall, and was just kinda hanging his head as he walked up to help finish tying down the boat in the staging area.

Plant One, I'm not going to fault that guy that can't back a trailer. I can't back them up to save my life and I even practice. For whatever reason my brain just doesn't compute backing trailers. However, I have friends that are good at it, so guess who does all the backing while I hold the ropes.
wink.gif

As the old saying goes. CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!!!! Take those trout and split in half and put some High country seasoning on the side that isn't skinned or any dry curing cure that you use in Canada. Smoke to dry you will have some fine eating.

As the old saying goes. CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!!!! Take those trout and split in half and put some High country seasoning on the side that isn't skinned or any dry curing cure that you use in Canada. Let sit for 12 hours. Smoke to dry you will have some fine eating.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21Plant One, I'm not going to fault that guy that can't back a trailer. I can't back them up to save my life and I even practice. For whatever reason my brain just doesn't compute backing trailers. However, I have friends that are good at it, so guess who does all the backing while I hold the ropes.
wink.gif

Remember, everything is backwards when backing a trailer. Try putting your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel instead of the top. Works for lots of folks that have trouble backing trailers.

Regards,
hm

Ursus21 Do what I do,I went to Walmart and got one of those clamp on bumper hitches and put it on my front bumper drivers side. Just hook the trailer up and drive down the ramp. All corrections are faster and not reversed like backing up.When the boat is loaded just unhook and back up to the trailer.

Excellent read and pics, congrats to both of you on the adventure. Sorry you had to "suffer" through the trout, better fishing next time.

Back