New to site

JRJ

I found this site the other day and can't hardly leave it. I have never called in a coyote. I sent to Cabela's for a Lohman caller (they suggested). It set in office for 3 mo. as I did not know anthing about calling, I tried it a week ago and no success as after reading post I made several mistakes. I farm and have timber and open land to hunt in. I have cows and seen coyotes get the cows attention while calving and another circle for the calf or afterbirth. I have plenty of coyotes but not much know how to bag them. I have a question please. Do you start with low volume and run it up and down or leave at same volume and go up slowly and down? I hope you guys don't mind and poor ol farmer once in a while. JRJ ps we are over run by coyotes. Landlady see them in her yard as I have seen them in our yard also.

JRJ..welcome to your new home!!! You are in a good situation,because I'm sure there is someone out in your part of the woods that would LOVE to help you learn more about this great sport. In answer to the one question, start low and then increase volume a little. This will keep from spooking any really close varmints. As you increase the volume, then you can reach anything out there within hearing distance. Hang on a bit and I'll bet one of the guys from your area will respond. Good luck....Randy

Hi JRJ,

Welcome to this site. You will gain a lot of info here. If you follow these 5 rules, you will be well on your way to Successful Predator Calling!

1. Understand Your Quarry. Know the animal you are hunting. Understand where the animal lives, how the animal lives, and how the animal reacts to circumstances.

2. Take Into Account the Wind and Terrain on Your Approach and Setup. Do not alert the animal on your entry and cover the downwind side on your setup.

3. Advantage Hunter! Setup where you have a good vantage point and be well camouflaged by melting into your surroundings.

4. Be Prepared For Your Situation. Know which calls to use for each particular situation and have your gun pointed in the direction you expect the animal to show. Be proficient with all tools of the trade.

5. Be Quiet and Don't Move! No talking! A quiet approach may be the single most important factor in successful calling! Once on stand, don't move except when slooowwly getting into position to shoot.

Good Luck on your hunt!

JRJ, welcome to the site! Glad to have you! I was born and raised on a farm / ranch and still feed cattle in MN. The best advice I can give to someone just starting out has already been given. Get together with someone from your area that calls. You may want to post "anyone from Iowa" and start a little dialogue. We can try to go over each detail about calling but it's much better to find someone who has done some calling in your area to help you get started. As has been stated, I am sure that there are guys from Iowa that can help you get started. To answer your question, I would start out with lower volume if you are using and electronic caller. Then you can work up to more volume if you need it. It actually depends on how far they may be away from you. If they could be close, start out low. If you know they are quite a ways off, then start out with more volume. Anything else, just ask! Wiley E

JRJ WELCOME to Predator Master, I hope to here a lot from you soon on all your hunts.

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quialty Custom Gunsmithing

Back