reloading 243 WSSM

Owl Creek

for now this will be my coyote rig.
(if and when i down a few, i plan on getting a 204)
anyway....
i have a Browning varmint stalker.
i will be reloading. i am looking for a flat , highly accurate load.
i don't care about the fur right now. i just want to get my first yote.

any advice for me?
thanks

Originally Posted By: Owl Creeki will have to pick up some powder.
i don't have any yet.

I'd look for powder in the medium burn speed range, Varget, 4064, RL-15 and similar. The Sierra 85 grn bullet is a fine choice, good for deer too.

My Dtech AR likes 38.5 gr. Varget, 87 gr. Hornady BTHP = 3100 fps. Three shots above measured .275"; took 2 clicks up and fired fourth shot which hit POA. Not fur friendly but works very well on predators.

YMMV so start low and work up.

Regards,
hm

Owl Creek said:
This one?
Hornady V-Max Bullets 243 Caliber, 75 Grain Boat Tail
I have been shooting a 243 wssm for about 8 years and love it, the 75 Grain V-max has been the most accurate and does a fine jog on Coyotes and Bobcats, When Hunting bigger game I have been using the Barnes 85 Grain TSX. The WSSM's are more difficult to reload than a lot of other calibers, You need to think about annealing your Brass after several rounds have been fired through. I ended up with to much tension on the bullets and it caused over pressure, the annealing has stopped that problem, this is just a caution to be aware of.

I too am a big fan of the 243 wssm. I have found that RL17 is the golden child in the 243 wssm across a variety of bullet weights. My two bullets of choice are 70 grain nosler or the 95 grain berger(54527 or 54570). I have both a bolt and ar platform chambered in 243 wssm. I use the load data from the Alliant powder site.

i was at the local gun store today and i found 1 box of
Hornady Vmax 58gr
and 1 box of 87 gr. 100 ea 20 bucks per box,
cash they were on consignment. so i bought them.

still need to get powder. i will make a list from here to see what i can find.
and thanks for the replys.

Last edited:
PS to above post.
other than trajectory and KE. what will be the difference
on each one will leave a big hole on exit? one wont exit.
no shoulder hits with the 57gr?
what am i to expect??

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Owl CreekPS to above post.
other than trajectory and KE. what will be the difference
on each one will leave a big hole on exit? one wont exit.
no shoulder hits with the 57gr?
what am i to expect??

Thanks in advance.

Holes!!! Depending on range big holes!! But have fun fur is coming out of peak now anyways.
I see you picked up bullets what for powder? I was going to say Rl-15 and a 80 gr Gmx . But the 87 gr v max will do.

Back