Bedding barrel to upper?

dan158

I did lap the upper when I built my 204 ar and also lapped the upper when I changed out the upper receiver on the MMr hunter...

Should I of bedded the barrels with Loctite? I do not know the accuracy of either of those guns because I have not scoped them yet...

I know the MMR hunter barrel was not bedded at all in the factory receiver...

Input on this?? Thanks. Dan

Last edited:
Quote:Should I of bedded the barrels with Loctite? I do not know the accuracy of either of those guns because I have not scoped them yet...

I am confuse on how to bed an AR15's barrel?

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiQuote:Should I of bedded the barrels with Loctite? I do not know the accuracy of either of those guns because I have not scoped them yet...

They Loctite the barrel into the receiver.. Not the nut to the threads but the shaft part that slides into the receiver..

I don't believe in the bedding as much as I do in shimming the extension into the receiver. Bedding won't guarantee concenrticity or coaxiality.

I wouldn't. I think some of the high end builders do it so they know if its ever been dissassebled. But I can't see it help accuracy.

Some claim it helps with vertical stringing as the barrel heats. Mine never get super hot as they are for hunting. I bedded my last build with Blue Loctite, but have not shot it enough to know if it makes a difference. Some bed with Red Loctite (much more permanent), saying that the upper receiver barrel is a use and throw away unit. I doubt most of us will notice a difference with normal use.

There is a one thou slip fit. I dont see Using loctite as a advantage. Once the barrel is torqued down it isnt going anywhere. Vertical stringing has to do with the barrel heating up. Properly torque the barrel nut and be done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223There is a one thou slip fit. I dont see Using loctite as a advantage. Once the barrel is torqued down it isnt going anywhere. Vertical stringing has to do with the barrel heating up. Properly torque the barrel nut and be done.

+1
not only that Loctite releases with heat no matter if it is med or high strength.

To each their own I use green loktite (made to fill gaps) and lap the receiver face. ..My builds have been performing well.

Originally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiQuote:Should I of bedded the barrels with Loctite? I do not know the accuracy of either of those guns because I have not scoped them yet...

They Loctite the barrel into the receiver.. Not the nut to the threads but the shaft part that slides into the receiver..

Again not the product to be using, first of all if you use Loctite on the receiver where it slips in the upper if you put too much in there when it heats up it can creep into the chamber and create all kinds of problems.
second of all if you are using Loctite again you are using the wrong product, (IF) I use that word loosely, you were to use a locking compound for the barrel you should be using Bearing mount or the equivalent instead of Loctite. Loctite and heat don't do well with each other. Have you ever warmed up butter?

Back