Powder Question

Trophyhunter

What's a good all around powder for 223 loads, and will it work well for 22 Hornet loads? I have bought a wide range of bullet styles, and weights already, and a lot of small caliber primers. I have never loaded before, but I am putting some stuff together to try loading my own. Right now these will be my primary loads. I may try some 7MM Rem Mag, and 38/357 later. Thanks in advance,

I'm afraid that's not going to happen. The little Hornet case does well with powders that are towards the slower burning of pistol powders the .223 uses much slower burning powders yet that one finds with the medium capacity rifle rounds.

They are just too far apart for one powder to be able to work well in both cartridges.

You need to do some research, as in buy a reloading manual. Sierra, Nosler, Speer, Lyman, or Hornady. Any one will do, but two is better. Third from the top is a sticky "help new reloaders" is a good read, and will give you lots of tips.

For your .223 with 40 to 60 grain bullets, try some Benchmark first, or H4895, IMR 4895 or several others. Some will work better with the 40's while some work better with the heavier bullets.

For the Hornet I would look for Lil'Gun, W296 or 2400.

I like accurate 2015 for 223 in 50 & 55 varieties. Also benchmark, 2230, and h335. However like one said it might be hard to find a good 223 and hornet powder that will give you the performance you want in both.

Back