FLIR LS-XR is here ...............

doublecheese

Let's all gather here for the Flir LS-XR news, pics, videos, questions and comparisons

Everybody is talking about the new Flir LS-XR, most are willing to get one. But everybody wants to know if it is worth the buy, if people should upgrade from their LS64 etc etc. I was lucky enough to get one this week on Tuesday from Europe. The funny thing is that I received my Flir LS-XR even before the buyers in the U.S.

Apart from me there are at least 2-3 people on this forum have already ordered their LS-XR and they are expecting delivery any time soon.

I was thinking we should keep this thread only for LS-XR for the interested people.

Some pictures of the LS-XR

QP8c6Q.jpg

tXDYjp.jpg

sWgPm5.jpg

PSaYuQ.jpg

HERE ARE SOME MORE PICS:
FLIR LS-XR PICTURES

My initial thoughts on LS-XR compared to LS-64 (I didnt have my LS64 with me as I sold it last week)

1) Image is definetely crispier in LS-XR in the city ( amongst the buildings )

2) When I went to the park I viewed 200-300 meters away green area with trees. I think it feels like it is similar to LS64.

3) I saw some cats and dogs and I can clearly say the LS-XR shows them more clear. These animals were like 20-30 yds away.

4) I pointed the LS-XR to a guy who was like 30yds away, I could easily and very clearly see him in detail even in 8x zoom

Initial Conclusion:
1) Image processing is better enhanced on Black Hot
2) White Hot needs some more image processing
3) Close by animals definitely show crispier than LS64
4) Far away distances show similar to LS64 but 8x is really good.
5) I was hoping more detail on far away objects but it does not seem that way
6) I think the things show better due to modified viewfinder.
7) I think Flir has to work on that digital image enhancing a little more .
8) I thinks it needs one more SW to fix these issues.

HERE ARE SOME VIDEOS:
All videos shot by stock Video Out cable + DVR

FLIR LS-XR VIDEO SHOOT

I realised something, the viewfinder does NOT actually show as nice as the video shown here !!!!! So the viewfinder on the LS-XR could be better if Flir wanted so !!!!!

FLIR LS-XR VIDEO AT NIGHT

AND HERE IS THE SECOND NIGHT VIDEO

FLIR LS-XR AT NIGHT 2

Let's keep all FLIR LS-XR issues here for all of us who wants to get more info .....

Last edited:
How you beat me out getting one in your hands over there in Switzerland before I did over here for a cheaper price than what I had to pay for mine here, I will never understand (especially when the trolls all claim that I work for FLIR), BUT at least mine will be 30Hz and hopefully here next weekend.

I particularly enjoyed your wild boar in the field video, very nice! If I was out there walking around in the dark with your big nasty boars I would certainly be well equipped like you are!

The newest video is up & running now.

Hahahaha

Even I can't believe how I got one before the U.S. and the funny thing I paid about $5280 which is even less cheaper than the U.S. Anyway I am glad I got one.

Thanks DC.........

Just heard form my dealer and mine should be here Tuesday. It was supposed to be here tomorrow but is late due weather related shipping delays.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757

Thanks DC.........

Just heard form my dealer and mine should be here Tuesday. It was supposed to be here tomorrow but is late due weather related shipping delays.

Not a good time to be flying express shipping planes as you well know!

Have you seen the last video ? On this video I have tried to film cars going across for you guys to see clearly the effects of 9hz. As you can see on 9hz device you can't see the cars crossing as smoothly.

But 9hz will not make any difference while hunting.

I am still waiting for my export vessel to arrive. Once the vessel arrives and the loading starts, in the nights I plan to goto the mountains finally to see if the LS-XR will perform as advertised .

Originally Posted By: Gman757

Thanks DC.........

I wish you get it as soon as possible.

And if you are a little like I am, the waiting kills. I can't tolerate waiting for a toy I bought.

I don't know the word English, but let me explain what I mean.

I started searching for a LS-XR last week in Europe. I spoke with sellers from Germany, Switzerland and Sweden. They all gave me 2 weeks delivery time. However one shop in Switzerland told me he could have it delivered next week (this week) so I sent him the money on Friday and the LS-XR was ready to be delivered on Tuesday.

The thing is these Swiss people were attending a Hunting Show in Germany that is between March 6-9 called IWA.

I had friends that were visiting the IWA Show already and they could easily pick up and bring the LS-XR to me on Sunday when they return.

Instead of waiting till Sunday (tomorrow) I took the first plane to Switzerland on Tuesday, picked up the LS-XR and returned home the very same day.......

You see how much I can't wait
smile.gif
On top of this I even made extra spendings just to have it quicker like plane ticket to Switzerland and back, a nice lunch, taxi etc.

If I were in Gman757's shoes now, I would be having stomach pain due to waiting
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hard_wareNice video!
Looks like better performance then the ls64

Yeah, and his is 9Hz too.

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseOriginally Posted By: Gman757Thanks DC.........

If I were in Gman757's shoes now, I would be having stomach pain due to waiting
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

It's all good DC. This is my first upgrade from the PS32 so I'm glad I waited and did not get the LS64. The PS32 did the job for me very well so I expect the LS-XR to be a huge leap forward in performance. I have a loaner LS64 that I've had for a few weeks so I will at least be able to see them side by side.

I had no idea a new 640 unit was out until Skypup posted about it. He definitely keeps us updated on FLIR products and their performance in the field.

Last edited:
Today I start my vessel loading and in the night I will finally goto the mountains. I will shoot some FLIR LS-XR footage tonight.

However I am not sure if I will be able to see any hogs though. The reason is, the Driven Hunt Season was newly over and these mountains had been hunted over and over till mid-end february.

So if the hogs are around I will get some bonus hog footage as welll.

Wish me luck

Yesterday I went to the mountains . But unfortunately I forgot my DVR at home so I could not shoot any footage.

However you did not miss much, let me explain why.

There was fog but this was a very wet fog. You get wet in a very short time.

qgmnNB.jpg

So eveything that I saw with my LS-XR was just washed out and could not clearly see much details.

Because it is too much hassle to take a picture of the screen of LS-XR, here is what I could see thru my Flir PathfindIR instead....

2mO0LS.jpg

There weren't any hogs around. So we decided to call some Jackals. Used Jackrabbit in distress in my Foxpro Shockwave and shot down two jackals instantly. Although due to fog I could bearly see the surroundings in the LS-XR the InstAlert feature worked like a charm to spot the jackals.

11zeAg.jpg

My Steel tubes export vessel loading continues and when I have the time I will goto the mountains again tonite. And I will not forget the DVR at home
smile.gif

Last edited:
Wow, that is great, you've got hogs and jackals, and a PathFinder too!

Even though it is foggy, I bet the Jackels were easy to target after you called them in with the FoxPro.

DC
Great report!!Holy cow!! Mr.P is right those look like coyotes!! I am wondering if some of our eastern dogs hijacked a boat and crossed the pond!!LOL! Do you have any close up pictures of those jackals?
I cant wait to see some of DVR footage!! Your Portugal right now?

Last edited:
The weather is good and got one jackal already. Pics and videos of the shoot with LS-XR will follow soon. Now we go stalking after some wild boars. Talk to you guys later.

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEDC
Great report!!Holy cow!! Mr.P is right those look like coyotes!! I am wondering if some of our eastern dogs hijacked a boat and crossed the pond!!LOL! Do you have any close up pictures of those jackals?
I cant wait to see some of DVR footage!! Your Portugal right now?

certainly
smile.gif
From the last hunt, thanks to Foxpro Shockwave and the Jackrabbit in stress, the funny thing is that we do not have jackrabbits here

sfN57L.jpg

kFh6au.jpg

oVVdnd.jpg

hBTt09.jpg

3dbEC5.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the video I promised.

First you see some cows.

THEN THE jackals and one of them being shot.

Then we stalk in the mountains and spot a wild boar from about 400-450 yds.

But the bad thing is that the "video in" cable of the DVR had come off and I didn't notice it so that It did not record the close up encounter with the wild boar.

FLIR LS-XR JACKAL SHOOT

Back