Battery charging in Fox Pro

Johnny B

I have a new Fusion and 3 sets of Fox Pro rechargeable batteries. I was having a problem with either a bad charger or a bad battery. Fox Pro replaced them no problem. My question is when charging the batteries in the call, are they fully charged when the green light is on or does that mean they are charging? Instruction manual does not state.

Thanks, Johnny

The green light comes on when you plug the charger into the ecaller. It goes off when the batteries are fully charged.

Thanks Al. My new charger is working.
When I try the original charger the green light comes on for a few seconds then goes off. With the charger Fox Pro just sent me the green light is staying on.

Johnny B--Make sure you take the battery pack out of the FOXPRO and leave the connection connected. The batteries get pretty hot if you leave the battery pack in that small enclosure.

Originally Posted By: SilverfoxJohnny B--Make sure you take the battery pack out of the FOXPRO and leave the connection connected. The batteries get pretty hot if you leave the battery pack in that small enclosure.
X2

I feel sure the light would have gone off soon. I read some time ago to not trust lights as gospel fact that batteries are charged. Most of the chargers will advise you to check the temperature of the batteries to be sure, and then you can take a voltmeter and get a reading on them.

Probably peaked out at about 11. Each aa battery is rated 1.2V so 9.6V is full, but they tend to read somewhat higher on a voltmeter. Maybe lowtempguru will chime in here and give some more definite info.

Just got through charging 8 of the black batteries. They read 10.9 on the voltmeter and each one individually read 1.3V to 1.4V. The charger that plugs into the Fusion is a real slow charge which is considered a good charge by most the battery gurus.

Everything I have read in the various manuals say to refer to the instructions that come with various chargers. Those instructions that come with the 8aa pack and charger only say that when the batteries get hot, they are fully charged, and it does nothing good to keep on charging them. It also says to not go beyond 10 hours. It says nothing about automatic.

There may be some circuitry in the ecaller to protect it. FoxPro's techs would be the ones to answer that question.

I just got off the phone with Scott at Fox Pro. The light on the call does not go off when the batteries are fully charged. The light only lets you know something is plugged in according to Scott. It appears we have to check the batteries with a tester to be sure when the charging is complete so the Fox Pro charger is not a "smart charger".

I am not questioning what Scott says, but the light goes out on my Fusion and the others I have tested when the batteries are charged. It may be due to some kind of heat sensor in the Fusion itself.

I wasn't doubting you Al. I was thinking something may be wrong with my Fusion. I charged the batteries for almost 10 hours and the light was still on is why I called. I just volt checked the batteries and all were reading around 1.292 +/-. A green/yellow/red light for battery condition would be a nice feature or a battery level indicator similar to the one on the remote. It always irks me to be 15 minutes into a bobcat stand and have the batteries start going south.

Last edited:
Johnny B, I didn't think you were doubting anybody; you just want some answers. Obviously, you are better off taking the batteries out of the ecaller completely and charge them with whatever charger you want to use. That way you can check them at any time with a voltmeter. If you are using a smart charger, that will take care of itself. I think the Fusion and some of the other models have a heat indicator that shuts the charging mechanism down when the batteries start getting hot. I have had 3 Fusion all do that. In each case, I took the batteries out, and they were getting real warm. I checked them with the voltmeter, and they were 1.3 to 1.4V and all 8 read right at 11V. If the battery compartment door was off, it may not have reacted that way. I'll try to do some more checking into this.

Originally Posted By: SilverfoxJohnny B--Make sure you take the battery pack out of the FOXPRO and leave the connection connected. The batteries get pretty hot if you leave the battery pack in that small enclosure.

Would it be better to charge the batteries out of the caller with a smart charger than in the caller with the Foxpro charger?

In my opinion, you are always better off charging batteries outside the ecaller. You are protecting the ecaller when you do that. Too many crazy things happen with batteries to suit me. To me, it is common sense that you are smart to charge your batteries independently of the ecaller.

Back