What's your favorite .223 ammunition in a 20" 1/8 twist AR-15.

Tron36

I was just curious what you guys were having the best luck coyote hunting with when it comes to this particular setup. I am not against hand loads but I would rather go with a factory round for now. This is my first post on her so I apologize if this has been asked 2,000,001 times.

I load the Hornady 55 gr SP's over H322 & a CCI 450 primer...Some like the V Max's too the 60 gr anchors them.

I know the Hornady Superformance factory 53gr & 55gr loads are also popular.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEBlack Hills blue box loaded with the 60 grain V Max. Grizz

^^^^^^^^ This will serve you well with your set up.

Originally Posted By: bushyOriginally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEBlack Hills blue box loaded with the 60 grain V Max. Grizz

^^^^^^^^ This will serve you well with your set up.

I recently started using this... I am liking the results so far...

The 1:8 twist is Very accommodating to a majority of loads.

Bushman and I were out test firing some rifles yesterday and he was hitting everything that he could see and printing some righteous groups.

We have found that even with the most economical(cheap) ammunition that we were shooting right around an inch and with the premium loads we were under 1/2in.

He did a cold bore 100 yard shot with Winchester Silver Tips that went right through center.

It will really take some experimentation on your part. Take the loads that the guys are recommending and try them out. Each barrel has it's own personality.

Originally Posted By: bryan hHornady 55gr vmax
thumbup1.gif

Whats available locally?

The last box of 223 ammo I bought was Fiocci 69 grain match ammo because it was $12 a box. It shot very nicely for me. Otherwise I hand load.

Last edited:
My dpms likes everything from 55 gr hornady V-max to 62 gr fusions and on the heavier side it shoots 75 gr hornady Superformance rounds well too!

Hornady 55gr. V-Max. I handload this round, but you can buy the same thing over the counter. I have fine tuned my handloads to shoot a tad bit better than the store bought version. Good Luck.----BTW, I am shooting a Rock River 20" Predator Pursuit with a 1-8" twist.

Back